Pesquera query

35 respuestas
    christos
    en respuesta a RayQ

Re: Pesquera query

Ver mensaje de RayQ

Dear friend
    you are quite right
    This wine has no vintage, as it blends harvests, and is representative of the more stable concept of Vega Sicilia. With this wine, the winery seeks to continue a very old Spanish custom and bring together the balance of different vintages.

Traditionally in Spain, the few wineries that bottled their wines (most sold their wines from the cask) made two types of wine with each harvest: that of the current year, and another wine without a specific harvest, which was called “Reserva Especial”. It was a blend of wines from the best harvests, which came to be the most representative wine of the winery.

As to if it will drink I can only say like a dream
    Enjoy

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a christos

Ver mensaje de christos

This is most interesting information. Is the 1984 label date correct? What other years was a Pesquera Reserva Especial produced?

Other than Ray’s report, I only ever heard of a 1994 Reserva Especial, but the date on that bottle appears to be a vintage date, and a friend had previously been informed that, at least in that year, it was not a blend. Is that information correct?

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a christos

"No Such Animal"

Ver mensaje de christos

I contacted Pesquera’s long time importer who, in responce to this inquiry about a blend of Pesquera vintages, said that ";no such animal"; exists. In addition to the 1994 situation that I was aware of (where Reserva Especial was used to designate ‘semi-Gran Reserva’), he did tell me something that I did not know:
    Reserva Especial was used by Alejandro pre-DO (1982) to signify ‘Gran Reserva’ in the early years when vintage dating was not allowed due to non-DO status, and Gran Reserva was only a DO-controlled nomenclature.

Perhaps this solves the mystery of Ray’s bottle - a pre-1982 Gran Reserva.

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a RayQ

Strait from the source...

Ver mensaje de RayQ

In addition to the contact I have made with Steve Meltzer, Pesquera importer and guru (see above), I have now learned that Alejandro Fernandez is, at this moment, in Canada and will soon be here in Washington DC, where I will see him later this week on both Friday and Saturday. I expect that I will be able to ask him any and all questions necessary to resolve this mystery - and any other Pesquera trivia items that might concern us - once and for all. Let me know your questions, and I will go strait to the source.

RayQ
    en respuesta a christos

Ver mensaje de christos

Cristos,
    thanks very much it is what I expected.
    The label clearly states Reserva Especial bottled 1984.
    I hope it will indeed drink well.

do you work for the bodega ?

un saludo

Ray

RayQ
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

Re: Strait from the source...

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

Well Walt this is definately the way to answer it !
    as posted above I have no doubt it states bottled in 1984 and it is a reserva especial.
    PESQUERA is in big red letters but not the same typeface as now a more rounded lettering.

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a RayQ

Re: Strait from the source...

Ver mensaje de RayQ

Alejandro’s veiw on whether the wine is still alive will be interesting. Assuming that the vintage is 1981 or 1982, these were both very fine years in Rioja, which may suggest good things in the Ribera del Duero region as well. (1980, on the other hand could be a problem.)

But of course there is only one way to find out for sure whether the wine is intact - and if I were you I would not hesitate in performing the ultimate test.

Congratulations on a most interesting acquisition!

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar