’The Gastriad’ (my V3 notes)

40 respuestas
    Juan Such
    en respuesta a Juan Such

Risk concentration

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

Well, if the 2001s are perhaps 33%, then you must have a total of 750-800 bottles, haven’t you?. Nice quantity... :-) How do you store them?

I am afraid to stock too much wine from the same vintage/style because my taste is evolving continously. Too much risk concentration :-) For instance, I am drinking increasing quantities of whites and fortified wines from Sherry.

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a Juan Such

Re: Risk concentration

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

I’d like to think that the total is somewhat less than what you suggest, but really I have no firm idea of what precisely lurks in my disorganized dungeon. In addition to the disorganization, my storage is low-tech: the air-conditioned basement of my house.

Gastronauta
    en respuesta a Juan Such

Re: Some comments...

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

But you know I’m more of a chapapotista than you...(that’s for the Trasnocho). Regarding the Artadi I cannot help thinking you didn’t ";prime"; your mouth before trying it. I went to the speakers’ table with samples and let them rest there for about an hour. So mine received a great deal more air than yours. That’s the only explanation I can think about, because ";balance"; IMHO was written all over the bottle (and now of course try and ";Describe balance"; as though it were not a highly subjective term itself) ;^)

BTW I just had another bottle of Larmandier-Bernier (Vertus’99) and I loved it. Austere as hell, terroir in spades, extremely dry and (my only concern) too high on bubbles (I had it on my own, so no problem with bubbles for the second half of the bottle). First Sinatra, then ";Babette’s Feast";. Loved the movie, BTW.

Gastronauta
    en respuesta a rayol

Re: What stamina !!!

Ver mensaje de rayol

Thanks, in fact I didn’t spit THAT much (this was in the course of some six sessions, with liters and liters of water and some bellota). The sad part is that in order to get a decent nose you must fill glasses well beyond reasonable sampling amounts, and therefore much wine is just poured in the spitoons after a few sips. But I appreciated the 488/15 stems a great deal. I personally HATE those INAO/ISO glasses. They are only good for some sherries, and there’s where they were offered.
    I must have swallowed at least a bit of everything...

Juan Such
    en respuesta a Gastronauta

Artadi, Larmandier-Bernier...

Ver mensaje de Gastronauta

I hope to give more opportunities to the top wines from Artadi :-) I am particularly interested in trying Viña El Pisón. Perhaps was a problem of lack of aireation as you suggest. Perhaps the 1998 vintage in Rioja is not for me: I haven’t liked very much any of the wines tasted from this vintage.

I have one bottle of Larmandier-Bernier waiting in my Chambrair. I hope this time I can drink the Champagne with enough quantity to enjoy it. The last time, in that Albufera restaurant, someone very close to the bottle didn’t allow me to get enough of this precious bubbles :-)

Ah!, and, yes, ";Babette’s Feast"; is great. But you must start seen it with an amontillado, the same drink with which the dinner in the film is started :-)

Gastronauta
    en respuesta a rayol

Re: Mauro 2001

Ver mensaje de rayol

Uh, I was a little disturbed about my capacity by the time I hit the Mauro. It was the only other ";Ribera"; apart from the properly-so Aalto couple in the whole V3. Mauro is among the most trustworthy reds in the country, year in and year out. When I didn’t ";get"; the Mauro I decided *I* was off, so I picked up my aerated Trasnocho and left for the dining room. After all, I always try a bottle of Mauro and had no need to sample it there (so I left it for the very end, as Javier was just next to the exit). And now after Walt’s reassuring experience you can rest and await your case with no concerns.
    2002 is bound to prove a very problematic year. I’ve tried very few 2002s so far. Valderramiro was great, Bembibre was superb, Secastilla was very poor...and these three are not at all representative of their respective regions, merely of the chaos after relatively homogeneous vintages 99-01 (if you excuse the generalization)

Gastronauta
    en respuesta a Juan Such

Re: Artadi, Larmandier-Bernier...

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

Well, my only experience with El Pisón was mind-numbing indeed (2001 at Peñín) but the pricing is getting insane. I believe Artadi doesn’t send samples for your review (yet?). I have Pagos Viejos 2000 in the pole position for Saturday.
    I loved the Albufera bottle (was it a 98 or 99?) and felt deep sorrow for the generous guy who clumsily chose to sit toward the OPPOSITE end of the table... :^) The pairing with mellow/oily arroz caldoso improved the performance of the wine, though, and it was dramatically more austere on its own.
    Babette was great. I put on my hypnotised/stupid/blissful smile for hours... I found myself lacking in Clos de Vougeot and other niceties, so I gave up trying to imitate her...

But I did have a great chocolate for dessert: Gran Couva 2003 from Valrhona and one of Walker’s shortbread rounds. Caloric bombs go down easy when dessert comes at 17:50...

rayol
    en respuesta a Gastronauta

Re: Mauro 2001

Ver mensaje de Gastronauta

Thanks for the reassurance.
    If the Valderamiro (spelling ?) was superb does it follow
    that the Malleolus will be a good bet also ??

rayol
    ps couldn’t agree more on the iso glasses (’orrible !)

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar