Parker scores on Spanish wines

26 respuestas
    MCamblor
    en respuesta a DiegoMartinez

Badly Born in the USA...

Ver mensaje de DiegoMartinez

(Of course, you have to be of Hispanic extraction to catch the pun in the title...)

Wines from the US? Ah, I wouldn’t bother at all, except for a mere two or three producers in California worth checking out. Steve Edmunds of Edmunds-St. John Comes to mind. And Mike Dashe, of Dashe Cellars. And Lane Tanner. In Oregon, I tend to stay away from most, except for a couple of good folks who make drinkable Pinot Noir. Dominique Drouhin, maybe?

Sadly, most of the stuff on the shelves and the restaurant wine lists that sports a ";Made in the USA"; label, is hot, flabby, cloying, woody crap (like I said, there are exceptions, but they are few and far between). And all of the ones that get the high scores from tasteless pseudotastemakers who wouldn’t know real wine if it came and bit them you-know-where, sport extorsionate price tags. Having had too many of these pseudowines, products that fall between the ludicrous and the monstruous, inflicted upon me by well-meaning souls who wish to change my mind about the state of wine in the US, I can only say one thing: Why bother?

So if US wine is your excuse for reading Parker or the Speculator, I think I may just have solved your problem.

M.

MaJesus

Re: Badly Born in the USA...

Manuel, I have the upmost respect of your exquisit, expert knowledge of wines, I recognize your concientuous dedication, I really like the wonderful enthusiam you show, I envy your whole-life exposition to the greatest wines, I take religious notes of ALL your reccomendations (and I look for them and try them and I have discovered gems, really, thanks a lot), I like your style and enjoy your writing :))), and I like your sense of humour and attitude towards life ... but I can not agree when you think that all the wines you do not like are bad :))) ... not too bad a disagreement though (I know you would not enjoy people who would agree 100% with you :-D )

Majesus

MCamblor

Not this again!!!!

A simple way to explain all this:

Parker loves a wine = 100 Silly, utter BS points that send the clueless lemmings out in droves to find said wine. The Great Guru has said that the wine is GOOD, since he likes it, so it MUST BE GOOD.

Camblor dislikes a nasty, overextracted, overoaked, cloying, alcoholic drop of pseudovinous dreck. He finds no use for it in his life whatsoever and believes there should be laws against pouring such toxic poison down the drain of his kitchen sink or his bedroom toilet. He states: This sucks and I can’t believe that there are people out there who actually expect me to like it. He writes a post in Verema, Wine Therapy, the WLDG, or wherever, and it kicks up a minor doo-doo storm.

I hope it’s all becoming clear to you by now. If it’s crap to me, and the whole argument hinges on opinions that are 100% (perhaps even more) subjective, hey, surprise, surprise, IT IS CRAP. We are judging, to use a Marxian term from back in the day, the use value of goods. Notice the key term in the phrase involves human agency, i.e., a user.

It’s Friday night. I just drank a bottle of the loely 2000 Lucien Crochet, Pinot Rosé, Sancerre. A wine that took the better part of two hours to open up and show its stuff. Clean, vibrant fruit and very authentic minerality that speaks volumes of its calcareous source. It matched deliciously with farfalle tossed with Swiss Chard, garlic, hot Italian sausage, pine nuts, raisins and ricotta salata. Use value? Lots.

M.

MaJesus

O.k. Manuel

I know your position, which I respect, truly ... I just do not share all of it all the time, that’s all.(I do share most of it most of the time, for sure.) I am drinking coffee, after an orange and a piece of bread :-((, but I took notice of the one you are drinking (and will look for it in the States)

MaJesus

MCamblor

Crochet...

I feel like singing: ";Get up, stand up/Stand up for your right...";

Anyway, of that Crochet Pinot Rosé you may not be able to findthat exact vintage, since the shops are up to the 2002s now. But they’re very consistent and make a competent pink year in and year out. It doesn’t quite reach the sublime heights of the pink Sancerres of François or Pascal Cotat, but it’s a tasty offering, worth leaving in your cellar for a few years.

And oh, yeah, there are rosés that benefit from time in the bottle.

M.

MaJesus

Re: Crochet...

Thanks for the tip. I’ll certainly look for them ... besides, I am getting more and more curious about roses and I only had Spanish ones.

MaJesus

ps.- we can all stand up and sing together ... after all, it is May 1st! :))

jose

Fill my heart with songs...

And let me sing for ever more...
    Tonite I’ve a Mr. Frank Sinatra’s night ;)

Btw MaJesus, have you ever take a look in Lavinia for some rosés? They’ve some rosés and of course in Vila Viniteca you can find some others... Maybe in the next few months if you have a trip to Barna you can get some of them...

Cheers,

Jose

JoanF

About Chablis...

Dear Manuel,

Some time ago I posted about Chablis to you, however being as busy as you are I think you couldn’t reply to me.

I tried a Fourchaume from William Fevre, and I did believe this was the name of the wine from Fevre... however... I think you mentioned some Fourchaumes which are not from the same maker... What is then Fourchaume? or... what does it mean?

Thanks a lot!

Salut!

Joan

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar