Parker & Robinson, maybe two sides of...

31 respuestas
    Juan Such
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

Wine rating is not an exact science...

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

Well, after reading something from Coates I’m now not so sure about the equivalence of the 20 point system from elmundovino.com, for instance, and ’The Vine’:

";there is (or could be) a 20 out of 20 Beaujolais or House Claret. If I am reading a review of, say, Vin de Pays Chardonnays from the south of France, I expect the wine writer to highlight the best by giving them 18 out of 20 (or a 90 plus if they are marking out of 100). That, given the price context and the aspiration of French Midi Chardonnays is what I am entitled to expect, together with marks down to 15 (good), and less. But quite obviously these Chardonnays are not being compared to Le Montrachet.

What would happen if they were? Logically the notes would be in the low 70s (out of 100) or 13s (out of 20). What would that indicate? Only that the wines were barely drinkable, which they are not, by any means. They can be fine, good or indifferent, within their context, and the marking system must accommodate this.";

Low 70s = 13s ???? If Jancis applies the same scale you are quite right.

BTW, two additional comments from Coates regarding marking wines “within their context” are very interesting:

";Robert Parker is one of those who marks, so he says, absolutely. But how do we reconcile his marks for Margaux 1980 (88/100), Margaux 1981 (91/100) and Margaux 1982 (98 plus/100)? All these three wines are spectacular successes within the context of their vintages. But in absolute terms surely the 1982 is rather more than a mere 7 plus percent better than the 1981, and the 1981 rather superior than 3 percent over than the 1980? Like myself, Parker and others - and I cite him not out of any personal animosity but merely because his journal is very influential - are trying to make room in their marking systems for highlighting the best and where necessary being severe on the disappointing. I just think I am being more logical in admitting it.";

";And yes, an 18/20 in a 14/20 vintage should be the same as a 14/20 in an 18/20 vintage. I’d personally probably go for the former because what is implicit is the elegance of the terroir in a minor vintage – I write this with a glass of Clos de Vougeot 1992 from Grivot beside me. But which you, dear reader, will prefer, will depend on your personal taste, on your mood that particular day, and on the food that goes with it. Wine tasting and wine assessment is not an exact science.";

http://www.clive-coates.com/

MCamblor
    en respuesta a Juan Such

Re: A 12/20 rating is a barely above average wine

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

See? That’s what I hate about scores... ";Above average?"; What’s that, grading on a perverse curve?

I remember back in my days as an academic. I was so uncomfortable with grading, as a teacher... One time, I gave one of my students a ";C"; on a paper. He came to me, all anguished, saying that this was, in the eyes of his perrs and parents, a ";bad mark."; What I said to him displeased him even more, I guess, though he never complained about it to my department, or any other power that I can think of. What did I say? ";Okay, I gave you what I think is a fair grade on this level of work. Would you, by any chance, like to test the alternative system I have to giving out letter marks?"; ";Well, if it takes away this C, sure..."; Okay, then,"; I replied, ";I call it giving you my real impressions of your paper, no holds barred and why I graded it the way I did. In short: You do a lazy moron’s work, you get a lazy moron’s grade.";

Ah, how I wanted to get out of that world. And now I only find myself having to deal with grades given to wine.

M.

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a Juan Such

Re: BTW, this TN resembles the Sot Lefriec 2000...

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

";Too explosive to eat with ANY food";

I tried Sot Lefriec dining outdoors in Barcelona during the Summer heatwave last year. Under those circumstances, at least, I agree with you 100%.

MaJesus
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

Re: The 20 point rating system

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

In most TN’s that I read on the 20 point scale (admitely not that many: some in ";el mundo vino"; and in Vinum";, I always got the impression that 12 points is rather bad, like a 6 in our Spanish verema side. Not horrid, not full of defects, not undrinkible, but surely a wine NOT to ever repeat (unless it is outregously cheap). This certainly is not the same as the 80’s I’ve seen in Parker’s reviews. This takes me again to my old, old, tiring and boring theme that the relation between both systems is not linear. Sorry guys! could not help myself :)

MaJesus

• Más leído
  • Más recomendado

- No hay entradas a destacar -

- No hay entradas a destacar -

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar