Traditional Ribera

7 respuestas
    RayQ

Traditional Ribera

Does it exist?
    It's pretty easy to make a shopping list of traditional Rioja producers.
    But does the same apply to those further west.
    Any thoughts on who the best 'traditional' Ribera del Duero producers are?

Without getting into semantics, 'traditional' in the sense of
    less new oak, designed for long aging.
    (and not Vega Sicilia!)

RayQ
    en respuesta a jose

Re: Traditional Ribera

Ver mensaje de jose

Well considering the majority of wineries didn't exist in 1980 I suppose no!
    But there were co-ops?
    And do any of the wineries practice more oxidative styles.
    I don't know of any but was just wondering....

Paco Higón
    en respuesta a RayQ

Ver mensaje de RayQ

Hello Ray & Jose ... I think that the answer is no.... apart from Vega Sicilia (but not including Alion) all of the wineries that I have recently tried are producing wines in the "dark side". I mean, 'modern wines' with an intense use of high-toasted oak and very ripened grapes... But in the beginning things were a bit different.. just try an 80s Pesquera a you'll feel the difference...

Cheers!

RayQ
    en respuesta a Paco Higón

Ver mensaje de Paco Higón

Ah but Paco the problem is finding an '80's Pesquera!
    I had hoped that the 'crisis' might make bodegas think about re-using their barriques.

The last Alion I tried (04) was oak soup.

Comvinart
    en respuesta a RayQ

Ver mensaje de RayQ

I believe you can find some Riberas made in a modern style, without excesive oak.
    I tried a wonderful wine from a new winery last year, Antonino Izquierdo. Also try Alonso del Yerro, and Fuentenarro (if you can find them). One of the main differences is, I believe, these wineries don´t purchase grapes from coops., no over extractions, and a reasonable use of oak. The barrels are not over-toasted.
    I used to import a wine called Valderiz, when it was made by Telmo Rodriguez, before switching the name to M2 de Matallana. The last vintage I purchased was 2001. The wine was very concentrated and very oaky. But, for my surprise, after several years I tried the last bottle (I had it "forgotten" in my cellar) the wine was very suptle, elegant, silky tannins, with no trace of oak.

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar