Good news for English speakers: new Gerry Dawes blog

21 respuestas
    MaJesus
    en respuesta a RayQ

Re: Gerry, this is the section...

Ver mensaje de RayQ

Very nice exchange ... and while I DO (I really really do) carefully read Gary's articles, papers, comments (I attended one of his guided tastings of Priorats in NY, which was fabulous!) and I DO value his experience and knowledge, and I'm sympathetic with his dislike of some excesses, I see myself closer to Ray's general positions ... but, as Ray say, this is a matter of taste ... and, luckily, taste is not a religion: one does not have to have only one taste and abominate about all other tastes ;) ... sorry, I just saw "religulous", a hilarious movie ... if you are not religious, of course ;)

MaJesus

RayQ
    en respuesta a jose

Re: Good news for English speakers: new blog

Ver mensaje de jose

I'd just like to add that when I said I didn't understand why some wines were 'derided' and similar ones praised I was not solely referring to Gerry's article but other commentaries also.

RayQ
    en respuesta a jose

Re: Good news for English speakers: new blog

Ver mensaje de jose

Derided is to express contempt for, to dislike, to not rate something.

I didn't use this with much thought to be honest. I was trying to express my confusion as to why one (modern) wine is praised and another (modern) wine is criticised. NOT just in the column by Gerry but in other places as well.
    It may be just that more professional tasters can identify different profiles in these wines that I can't and I simply lump them all together? !

jose
    en respuesta a RayQ

Ah...well...

Ver mensaje de RayQ

Thanks for the explanation of the meaning of 'derided'.

Well, you know what I do think about this topic. I strongly disagree the modern style concept that only guides to extremely overripen fruit, 200 % new oak and all sort of methods that try to correct the real expression of the soil, vintage and grape variety.

On the other hand, I also disagree that old style based on dirty wood and thin wines that doesn't smell and taste to anything but oxidized and oaky wines.

I mean that maybe I'm missing the point of your post, but what I don't like are that wines that goes on the car of what is on in the markets. That wines without personality. That from bad to horrible wines wherever they come from...

In addition to this I don't accept that megahype-points-critics "suggestions" that only point to one kind or style of wine. 'Stylish' wines without style... I mean.

My apologize for the really bad english today and the short paragraphs, but I'd one of these days in the office... #-/

Cheers,

Jose

MaJesus
    en respuesta a jose

Re: my two cents ...

Ver mensaje de jose

... it is difficult for me to find a well made wine that I dislike, so I DO like both, well made "classic" wines and well made "modern" wines (it's too late into the night to define these concepts, plus we all now what I mean ;) ...) BUT, BUT ... apart from some unreal, amazing, unique "generosos" wines from the "la bota de ... " series (dream wines, really!!) the (red) wines that have made me the most happy have been, 97% of the times, really good made wines in the "modern" tradition ... in my opinion, an by far, they beat the well made classical wines ... at least for my taste ...

All this said, I do enjoy and I do buy classical wines ... but hey, nothing like a wonderful modern wine ... I mean, if you can afford it!!!!! (this is a different issue: these "good" modern wines are becoming way too expensive ... great classical wines are, by far, way more affordable, so I am finding myself buying them more and more and more often).

MaJesus

• Más leído
  • Más recomendado

- No hay entradas a destacar -

- No hay entradas a destacar -

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar