Pago de Carraovejas

12 respuestas
    RayQ

Pago de Carraovejas

Ver mensaje de RayQ

Pago de Carraovejas Crianza 2004
    This is one of those wines which has quite a reputation in Spain.
    Spoken of in hushed tones. I have had friends promise me they MIGHT be able to get me a couple of bottles. I’ve never really understood this as it’s quite readily available in the UK. (ok more expensive for sure). I have had it in the past and not been overwhelmed. I found it fine but a bit light and juicy. A restauranteur in Segovia is part owner and it used to be served in his reasaurant. Probably still is.

I happened upon a bottle recently and thought I’d give it a try.

Dark cherry core, lovely nose wafting out of the glass. Black and red fruits. Oak but not overpowering. I’d swear southern Rhone as it has a heady lifted aroma with glycerin on the palate but there is no Grenache. It’s 85% Tempranillo with Cab and Merlot.
    Very smooth entry and supple tannins, satisfyingly long and sweet finish. Absolutely ready. If there is a fault it is that it is a little ’fat’ in subsequent glasses. Makes me think it’s not an ager.
    But it is quite different to what I remember from some years ago. A more ’serious’ wine than I thought. Must visit that particular restaurant this year !

So Veremaites (!) What’s your opinion of it ?

jose
    en respuesta a RayQ

Re: Pago de Carraovejas

Ver mensaje de RayQ

Hi Ray,
    the owner of the restaurant ’Jose María’ is still involved in this winery afaik. Use my comments with a grain of salt. As many times I’ve said I don’t use to like Ribera del Duero wines. Bearing this in mind let me say that this Crianza is one of the RdD I’m able to drink a couple of glasses. It’s ok, but by no means I would pay the price this wine have in wineshops but it’s a good price in the restaurant ;)
    I think you have a good spanish, so you can read my comment of the restaurant if you’re interested (in the spanish side of the web).
    Anyway, and as a claim: I don’t have drink any RdD that I would pay a second bottle.

Cheers,

Jose

RayQ
    en respuesta a jose

Jose Maria

Ver mensaje de jose

I have not yet read your review (BUT I will !)
    This is the restaurant where I had my ’stag do"; my bachelor party before getting married in
    Segovia quite a few years ago. I have been many times.

best wishes

Ray

prosario
    en respuesta a RayQ

Re: Pago de Carraovejas

Ver mensaje de RayQ

Ray Q,
    I enjoyed reading your notes on the 2004 Carrovejas which I first tasted in Puerto Rico some years back. A good RdD but not something that kept my interest very much. Now I’m a bit concerned about your note that, in your opinon, this wine may not be an ’ager.’ I have a few bottles of the 2001 vintage and now wonder if those bottles maybe past their prime! I’ll have to open one and see for myself and compare along side a 2004 bottle. Gracias.

Pedro

• Más leído
  • Más recomendado

- No hay entradas a destacar -

- No hay entradas a destacar -

Este sitio web usa cookies para analizar la navegación del usuario. Política de cookies.
Cerrar