Israel wines & RP points...

16 respuestas
    rikiwigley
    en respuesta a jose

Re: Israel wines & RP points...

Ver mensaje de jose

I have to agree with you on this one Jose.

I freely admit to not trying Israeli wine since I lived in London in the 1980’s and it wasn’t exactly first choice then.

However like you I do not associate ’typicity’ and ’dessert wine’ with gewurztraminer. I don’t doubt that good wine can be made in the region, after all Chateau Musar from the Lebanon nearby is a long time favourite and highly rated.

I suspect that Israel may well be this years wine trade ’destination’ and we will see a host of articles promoting Israeli wineries as journalists and Masters of Wine accept their annual invitations to taste in a different country.

Perhaps Verema could arrange a tasting through the Embassy? After all we forumites have discerning palates and I for one am prepared to attend and to be convinced!

Riki.

suiko
    en respuesta a rikiwigley

Re: Israel wines & RP points...

Ver mensaje de rikiwigley

Tho I am of course no fan of WS, I do think you’re being a bit unfair, José. Surely a grape doesn’t have to be native to a region to be able to show typicity? I always thought typicity was largely to do with terroir.
    If it was all down to grape variety, then no wine from Australia, South Africa, or the Americas would ever be able to show ";typicity";, would it? And I’m sure you’d agree that there are plenty of wines from Barossa, for example, that show plenty of typicity while being entirely made from grapes from thousands of miles away.

And let’s not mention Cabernet and Merlot in Priorat, of course :-)

Of course, I do also have my doubts about whether said Israeli Gewürz really does express its terroir!

jose
    en respuesta a suiko

Unfair? Not really...or not enough! ;))

Ver mensaje de suiko

From my point of view tipicity can be reached after years making wine with whatever grapes we’re talking about. I’m absolutely ¿disappointed? hmmm.... not tired is the word I’m looking for, of seeing the hype ’tipicity’ used this way.
    I can accept and agree with the idea that good wines can be made almost everywhere. Even great wines. Sometimes we can find wines made with vines that comes from many miles away that we do really enjoy more than in their original soils, but it doesn’t gives them ’tipicity’.
    In the last decade we all have seen how Pinot Noir, Petit Verdot, Riesling are present in many wines across the globe. For instance you can find Riesling in La Mancha... Hell! They can make a good/great wine but please, it looks quite insulting to me to use the word ’tipicity’ for a Gewürztraminner in Israel or a Riesling in La Mancha. They can express the terroir as if they were in La Scala but please, please, please, please... tipicity??????
    Unfair? Really ? ;)))))

Cheers,

Jose

MaJesus
    en respuesta a suiko

Re: I agree ... sorry Jose ;)

Ver mensaje de suiko

I think that there can be typicity in wines from grapes that are not original from the region, and by that I mean a distinctive, unique personality ... A favorite example of mine are some wonderful sauvignon blancs from Malborough, NZ. They DO show an exquisite typicity: you can tell that they are SB from Malborough, and from nowhere else, and to me they are wonderful, very different from the Loire ones, very unique to themselves, very ";typic"; and very good ;)

I drunk a lot of israel wines in my last visit there in December 2004. I must add that the situation was very different from my previous visit in 2000, with many more, very decent wines (not very sure about the typicity, though ;) ...). I also had a very very good one that was impossible to buy except in the airport: Domain du Castel Grand Vin 2000 (Jerusalem - Haute Judee) but it costed me $32 back then ...

On the other hand, I also drunk Indian wines in my visit to India (in the Tsunami year), very honest and drinkable, but no ";typicity"; ... but who needs it with all the spices ;) ...

MaJesus

• Más leído
  • Más recomendado

- No hay entradas a destacar -

- No hay entradas a destacar -

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar