The Wine Advocate on Spanish Wine

11 respuestas
    WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

Pierre Rovani will now review Spanish wines

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

After this news breaking just barely a week prior to Alimentaria, everybody in the Spanish wine world now knows: Robert Parker will turn over responsibility for reviewing Spanish wines to Pierre Rovani. Personally, I have no idea whether this news is good, bad or indifferent. Most Spanish wine aficionados I know disagree with Parker to one degree or another, either a little or a lot, but their disagreements tend to be very consistent. In other words, they have calibrated their tastes such that, even if they do not accept a Parker review as the gospel truth, they get good information about the wine based on years of this calibration process. That information will now be lost, but there are countervailing benefits of receiving a new perspective.

Because of Parker’s track record and because of all the Spanish wine that I taste in advance of Parker reviews, the WA Spanish wine issue was becoming a little predictable, and I look forward watching what develops.

In addition, many people have often criticized Parker for not visiting wine producers in Spain. I’m not sure I agree with this criticism, but I expect that Rovani will find the time to go to Spain to taste. If I’m not mistaken, he even speaks Spanish.

I would love to hear the opinions of others about this development.

MaJesus

Re: Pierre Rovani will now review Spanish wines

I hope that you get informed opinions, Walt. I have no idea about this guy, so I do not know how he is. My first reaction is of total indiference: my calibration of my own tastes with those of Parker (which exist) is most of the time a posteriori, that is, I get my impression about the wine and sometimes go a check what Parker had to say about it. Only in very rare occasions I used Parker’s opinion to buy wines that I do not know. Also, since I do not closely follow WA nor Parker’s web page, nor anything with any continuity, really is bassically of no importance.

The only ’entertaining’ thing is that wines that were very expensive because of Rober Parker maybe now will drop their prices, and the hope always exists that Rovani’s opinions do not drive prices as authomatically and predictably as Parker’s opinions ...

It’s a change ... I’m usually curious about changes ... I do not mind them much: I’ll recalibrate my tastes again ;)

MaJesus

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a MaJesus

Re: Pierre Rovani will now review Spanish wines

Ver mensaje de MaJesus

I think this is a matter about wihich producers and consumers may have somewhat varying views. I suspect that most members of the resurgent Spanish wine industry recognize that Robert Parker has given their efforts a huge boost that now will be missed. It may be the case that average wine consumers do not distinguish WA scores/reviews by their author, but for producers, relatively new producers in particular, one can understand that it is difficult to equal the affirmation and bragging rights that come with a favorable Parker WA review.

rayol

Price drop...

I wonder if the lack of the Parker recommendation will lead to a lack of demand in the US ? (where I assume the Parker effect is greatest)
    Obviously not from Walt and other devout Spanish fans but more generally. This might lead to two things...firstly a slowdown in price increases and possibly a trend away from super cuvees (this would be great in my opinion) I sometimes think these author wines are made to elicit high scores and high prices and this weakens the entry level wines (I have banged on about this before).
    I have to say I respect the mans views and his palate has guided me well through Bordeaux and Rhone wines. He is not however my primary source for Spanish wine.

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar