Remirez de Ganuza and solitary wines

7 respuestas
    rayol

Remirez de Ganuza and solitary wines

Ver mensaje de rayol

A question on a familiar theme...
    Now that this bodega has Trasnocho and Casilla de la Mujer has the ";basic"; cuveé been affected ?

On a related note are there Spanish bodegas where a single wine premium wine is produced ?
    or has the traditional ageing system conspired against this.

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a rayol

Re: Remirez de Ganuza and solitary wines

Ver mensaje de rayol

Ray,

About a month ago I participated in a 10-vintage blind vertical tasting of the Ganuza reserva and noticed no declines in quality.

As for the single-vineyard Casilla de la Mujer, was this produced in any year other than 1998?

As for Trasnocho, I don’t think that there is any pretense to using the best fruit - it is just a different vinification method. No? I confess that I have yet to try Trasnocho but I know someone intimately connected with the winery who maintains that it plainly is not superior to the ";basic"; cuveé.

Are there Spanish bodegas where only a single wine premium wine is produced? Of course there are many that have not opted to create some single-vineyard luxury wine, but it more common for luxury producers to introduce an entry-level wine (e.g., Flor de Pingus, Les Terrasses, etc) which presumably would not threaten the quality of the flagship cuvee. As for your specific question, Clos Mogador from Rene Barbier and Sot Lefriec from Alemany i Corrio would be examples, I think, of premium producers with neither a super-premium nor bargain wine. Another example: I believe I recall Isaac Fernandez Montaña, the gifted winemaker Bodegas Uvaguilera Aguilera, telling me that they are discontinuing the super-premium Palomero Vendimia Seleccionada and are exclusively focussing on their premium Palomero.

Cheers,
    Walt

Paco Higón
    en respuesta a rayol

What do you mean with “solitary”?

Ver mensaje de rayol

I do not understand what you mean.

Unfortunately I have not tried “Casilla de la Mujer”… But as far as I know there have been produced in only one vintage (98) and it comes from a joint project of Fernando Remirez and Valsegar de Muelas: (Javier de las Muelas, Joan Valencia y Enric Segarra).... About Trasnocho, I have tried all of the vintages and I agree with Walt, is more the result of a different set of vinification techniques than the result of using the best grapes.

Cheers….

rayol
    en respuesta a Paco Higón

Walt/Paco

Ver mensaje de Paco Higón

Thanks for the info guys.
    Paco, excuse the sloppy use of English. What I was trying to highlight was the trend in my favourite regions (Rhone/Ribera/Rioja) to begin with a very good wine and then proceed to perhaps weaken the initial wine by removing certain parcels to produce a ";premium"; wine as opposed to a single (solitary) wine. I can think of examples of this happening in Ribera..Mauro,Emilio Moro,
    In the Rhone I can only think of Clos des Papes and Vieux Telegraphe who haven’t gone down the super cuvee path. (I’m sure there are some others but you get my point)
    They both produce ";lesser"; wines that don’t detract from the original product.

I suppose this COULD be argued about Pingus and Flor de Pingus however a wine offered for 750€ is something I can happily ignore for the purposes of this argument.

However does anyone have old lists/records that chart the price rise of this wine ?
    It seems to have a unique status in the speed of its price hike and its cost being higher in its country of production than elsewhere.

Anyway back to Remirez,I was not aware of the history of Trasnocho and haven’t tried it. But was very impressed with the Remirez 98 (so much that I posted a TN !!)

Paco Higón
    en respuesta a rayol

Re: Walt/Paco

Ver mensaje de rayol

Ok Ray, now I catch you... it’s a problem with my Spanglish ;-))) I really think that a good cellar must go the other way round... I mean, to start with a nice, cheap wine and to finally produce a beautiful not-that-expensive top wine.

I don’t remember what was first, if Pingus or Flor de Pingus..... Mmmmm, but for me the right way is from less to better....

rayol
    en respuesta a Paco Higón

Less to better ?

Ver mensaje de Paco Higón

Languages Paco !
    The problem with lesser to better is that not only is the ";better"; much more expensive it often robs the ";lesser"; of some of it’s riches....meaning the consumer gets slapped twice !!

glad you got your hands on some Prima (I liked this better than you)
    And here is an example of fairness...the fruit of younger vines providing a cheaper option
    for San Roman fans rather than blending them into the SR or indeed hiving off a ";special";
    plot to produce an elite SR. (fingers crossed they don’t do this !)

Paco Higón
    en respuesta a rayol

Re: Less to better ?

Ver mensaje de rayol

Ermm, this is not the right way… supposedly the second wine comes first when vines are young … and this is a way to get some money while vines grow….. in this very moment top wine must appear but using only the best grapes and only in the very best vintages…. Of course in this scenario the second wine must not lose quality….and also can be better in those vintages in which the top wine is not released (as with AN 2002)….

Too idealistic, isn’t it?;-))))

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar