Come to Washington DC for Spanish Wine - 6 June

6 respuestas
    WaltZalenski

Come to Washington DC for Spanish Wine - 6 June

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

I recently got word that the Wide World of Wines second annual Spanish barrel tasting will occur on Saturday June 10, preceded by a special dinner honoring the participating winemakers on June 9. This was a great event last year. This year’s event promises to be even better, as 2005, presented this year in barrel, will be a terrific vintages particularly in the Duero valley and the great 2004s, which were presented last year in barrel, will be presented again pre-release. Last year included roughly 75 wines featuing the impressive portfolio of importer Aurelio Cabestrero / Grapes of Spain. In addition to that wonderful crowd of personalities and wines, the portfolio of Christopher Canaan imports will be added along with others. I understand that notable personalities such as Mariano Garcia, Alejandro Fernandez, the Dos Victorias and others will be attending.

Of no small interest, last year all the wines are offered at very enticing futures prices, and I would expect the same this year.

For those who do not know, Wide World of Wines, headed by Elliot Staren and Hugo Linares, is a wine retailer par excellence in Washington DC. They can be reached for registration information and other details at 202.333.7500.

Midi
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

Re: Come to Washington DC for Spanish Wine - 6 June

Wow, it sounds like a fantastic event. I will contact them for further information. If the schedule cooperates, I will attend. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

MaJesus

It does sound really exciting! ... but, aren’t the wines way too young (for actual enjoyment)? I guess that is it fine for experienced tasters, because they can see and enjoy the potential, but the very few times I got to taste wines in barrel, I really did not like them (and neither I like too early wines) ... but I am a very unexperienced ";aficcionado";

MaJesus

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a MaJesus

Ver mensaje de MaJesus

Too young for enjoyment? Yes and no. Quite a few of the great 2004s were impressive as barrel samples and, in any even, when you are tasting so many you certainly can tell which are better than others. In addition, when you have an opportunity to taste a wine twice a year apart (but still prior to its release), you learn a lot about its development. But I generally agree that the main point of this tasting event is not to enjoy the wines but to assess and analyze them -- and, at huge discounts, pre-order them.

What is pure enjoyment is having Washington inundated with Spanish winemakers and Spanish wine lovers for a few days. The winemakers’ dinner last year was 7-course affair featuring two wines with every course. (By the end, it was amazing how many of the winemakers were speaking perfect English.) In addition to this dinner, last time I attended 3 other memorable meals with Spanish wine luminaries.

MaJesus

You make it sound really interesting! (although there was no need for the winemakers to speak English at the end of such a meal: everyone else was probably speaking perfect Spanish! :-D). Does this happen every year? and always in June? ... I’ll likely be spending a the next academic year in Durham (so close to DC!), but during the first part of June I’ll be in Italy and Spain.

Enjoy it! (and tell us about it)

MaJesus

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar