Spain’s Best Merlot (specially to WaltZalenski)

7 respuestas
    JoanF

Spain’s Best Merlot (specially to WaltZalenski)

Ver mensaje de JoanF

Hi there,

Walt, about the Caus Lubis 1995, you say it is referred as Spain’s best merlot (not infrequently).

However, I did not try it, but I did try the Enate’s Merlot-Merlot 1998 (loooooooong ago), and looks difficut to me to beat it. Did you try the Enate one? Just to know if you have this reference.

On the other hand, somebody said that Petrea 1999 was the Spain’s best merlot (also from Penedès, like Caus Lubis), but I didn’t like so much.

Did you try the wines I mention? So I can compare your notes with wines I tasted?

Many, many thanks.

Salut!

Joan

PD: I’d like Caus Lubis to be the best Merlot, but afte trying the Enate’s, it looks really difficult.

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a JoanF

Re: Spain’s Best Merlot

Ver mensaje de JoanF

I did try the 1998 Merlot-Merlot, which was strangely like a Priorat. The wine recieved a lot of atterntion, as I recall, because ElMundo gave it an astronomical score based an a barrel sample. Later, when the wine was released, however, ElMundo lowered its rating dramatically.

I might well have not tried this particular vintage of Petrea. Indeed, I do not think this wine is imported to the US where I am, and I only recall tasting it once or twice in Spain.

In any event, let me clarify that I did not mean to suggest that the 1995 vintage of Caus Lubis in particular was the best Merlot in Spain. Rather, I meant the general reputation of Caus Lubis over many vintages has prompted many to say that it is the best.

Speaking of ElMundo, when I mentioned this to Victor de la Serna, editor of ElMundoVino, he said; Caus Lubis ";is definitely Spain’s best merlot, and I’d go further: outside Priorat, there are no better wine estates in Catalonia than Can Ràfols dels Caus."; I hope he does not mind me repeating his comment here.

Anyway. Thanks for paying attention to the tasting note. It seems that is is difficult sometimes to have forum discussions about these notes.

JoanF
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

Thank you very much for your comments.

About Enate Merlot-Merlot 1998 I don’t remember it like a Priorat, even a powerful and fruity wine.

I ’discovered’ Enate Merlot-Merlot in ’Guía de Vinos Gourmets 2000’ which is IMHO quite reliable. I remind the best wines of that year.... (always in blind taste, of course):

1- Clos Mogador 1997 9.75/10 (that’s why I decided to try Clos Mogador)
    2- Cims de Porrera 1998 9.5/10
    3- Cirsion 1998 9.5/10
    4- Enate Merlot-Merlot 9.5/10

I didn’t know about ElMundoVino comments....

About the estates, I think we can find some of the Torres very interesting, like Mas La Plana, Mas Borràs, Fransola,... and of course Grans Muralles.... and the estates from Jané Ventura are worth considering too, like Albet i Noya.... and how about Jean Leon...

Regards.

Joan

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a JoanF

Ver mensaje de JoanF

1- Clos Mogador 1997 9.75/10 (that’s why I decided to try Clos Mogador)
    2- Cims de Porrera 1998 9.5/10
    3- Cirsion 1998 9.5/10
    4- Enate Merlot-Merlot 9.5/10

This is now ancient history and it doesn’t make any difference, but I was just looking at this list and it makes no sense to me. If the 1998 vitages were released at this time, how did the 97 Mogador get the top rating? For a Mogador, the 97 was relatively forgettable. The 98 was clearly better. And the 98 Cirsion was WAY better than 97 Mogador.

JoanF
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

Hello Walt,

If I’m not wrong the tasters of this guide taste what is available on that time.... not a selection of 98 vintages , and for any reason the 98 vintage of Mogador was not at hand... actually Mogador was one year delayed compared to other wines but recently they tasted two vintages at the same time.

At the time of Mogador 97 I was an absolute beginner (now I’m just a beginner) and decided to buy another bottle after the first, because we enjoyed so much... (and it was expensive, but less than it is now I think).... so I rememeber quite well how I liked it. But I agree, 98 Mogador was so good that I bought finallyt two more bottles after the first.

At last... let me recommend you to try a Jané Ventura... I like them and I think they’re quite interesting.

Regards.

Joan

• Más leído
  • Más recomendado

- No hay entradas a destacar -

- No hay entradas a destacar -

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar