Sort of a poll> What guides you to buy new wines...

10 respuestas
    jose

Sort of a poll> What guides you to buy new wines...

Ver mensaje de jose

Yep... no that usual suspects you buy ’cos you know what kinda of stuff you’ll find inside the bottle. I’m talking about that wines you have never tasted before but nevertheless you buy (at least) a bottle.
    Do you use guides? Fora & forumites opinions? Magazines? Compulsive buying when you go to the wine shop :) ?

Ciao,

Jose

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a jose

Re: Sort of a poll> What guides you to buy new wines...

Ver mensaje de jose

It depends what you mean by ";buy."; I first buy mixed cases of wine - one or two bottles of 6 to 12 different wines. I taste them. If I like a wine sufficiently, I’ll buy more. The initial selection of the mixed case simply is based on curiosity about wines I have never tried before. Fortunately, I focus on Spanish wine and there are only a finite number of Spanish wine imported to the US, so I’ll try most anything. I will, however, exclude wine that I suspect is plonk or wine that seems way overpriced relative to its reputation. For example, I just read about a wine, Hermanos Sastre 2001 ";Pesus,"; which sells for $395. For that price, I will not even buy one bottle to try.

Gastronauta
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

Re: Pesus

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

I think I saw your rant on Squires too, but I must say that --no matter how insanely priced-- the 99 was out of this world, and people who have tried both claim the 01 superior.
    That said, the question remains (lots of microcuvées around the world retail for similar prices...which is of course no reason to legitimize the price of any wine, but it strikes me Spain has no ";right"; to stratospheric tags other than Parker-blessed Pingus. Give me two Pesus anyday instead of a Pingus...)

suiko
    en respuesta a jose

Re: Sort of a poll> What guides you to buy new wines...

Ver mensaje de jose

Mostly forums and forumites’ opinions (depending on the person involved, of course and their previous notes). If they also rate highly wines that I like, of course that’s a plus. If they tend to like the kind of ";big";, oaky wines I don’t go for, then I generally ignore.

Visiting an area, I always try the wines too.

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a Gastronauta

Re: Pesus

Ver mensaje de Gastronauta

"; Give me two Pesus anyday instead of a Pingus...)";

This suggests that Pesus is less expensive than Pingus. In the US at least, it is considerably more expensive. In any event,if I were inclined to spend this much on a bottle, I would opt for a vintage Unico.

MCamblor
    en respuesta a jose

I Go by the Silliest Labels and the Advice of...

Ver mensaje de jose

I go by whichever has the silliest labels and by the advice of salesmen that, in spite of having dealt with me for years, even decades, insist on inflicting pointy crap upon me.

Of course, every once in a while, someone in a shop will strike a real chord. Someone at Garnet (my corner shop in Manhattan) recently offered me something with a very Boteroesque label called ";Il Bastardo."; He may have said that the stuff was made especially for me by a producer in Piedmont which Gambero Rosso had awarded the coveted ";Tre Bicchieri,"; but whom I may have lambasted on internet fora.

What do you know? The stuff was quite drinkable. And after finishing it, I filled the bottle with cement and am using it as a paperweight. It gives visitors to my office an idea of whom they are dealing with.

M.

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar