The evolution of taste: biological or cultural?

7 respuestas
    Juan Such

The evolution of taste: biological or cultural?

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

I reproduce an interesting subject post in the IWC forum (which is open only to subscribers). Tanzer comments:

";As I get older, I find myself increasingly looking for freshness, clarity, complexity AND sweetness of flavor, and I find heavily new-oaky and high-alcohol wines more and more tiring.

On the other hand, I’ve had firsthand experience with some older English tasters (and I mean gents in their 70s or 80s) who told me that as they grew older they gravitated toward increasingly sweet wines (I’m speaking here of ripe fruit, as opposed to residual sugar). But I don’t know whether they were simply looking for wines that required less mental effort to appreciate or whether their taste buds literally changed over time.

Actually, I have a suspicion that the receptors on the tongue for bitter and sour tastes become more sensitive over time, and perhaps those for salty tastes as well. (I believe that Emile Peynaud pointed out that, of the four basic tastes, only the sweet taste is really agreeable.) As the sour taste comes from a wine’s acids, and the bitter taste from a wine’s tannins, it makes sense that as one grows older one would be less tolerant of acids and tannins, and gravitate more toward sweetness, which can mask the effect of sour and bitter tastes.";

(...) ";those who increasingly gravitate toward sweeter wines (which generally correspond to wines with higher alcohol) may be moving in the opposite direction. Based on at least this anecdotal evidence, it would thus seem unlikely that biological change is a determining factor.";

Are you aware of be evolving in one of these directions? A biological factor or an intellectual-cultural one?

Now I am looking more (specially at the table with food) for wines with delineation and clarity, which usually means leaner, but brighter and more vibrant wines (thanks to good acidity and a mineral quality). And, unfortunately, I think most of Spanish high-end wines gravitate now more on the fruit bomb side... lacking delineation and nuance.

Iñaki Blasco
    en respuesta a Juan Such

Re: The evolution of taste: biological or cultural?

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

May be a biological factor, I don’t know, but I think the matter has some kind of intellectual evolution of your own. I’m with you Juan, looking for more elegant, vibrant and mineral wines. I’m not so opposite with the fruit bomb side of the wine (not including here overripe wines), but a lot with heavily new-oaky wines (especially with coffe-like ones).
    May be we are talking about different things than Tanzer.

Juan Such
    en respuesta a Iñaki Blasco

Re: The ’mental effort’ to appreciate wine

Ver mensaje de Iñaki Blasco

I think is very interesting when Tanzer says ";I don’t know whether they were simply looking for wines that required less mental effort to appreciate or whether their taste buds literally changed over time."; My experience is that wine newcomers enjoy more directness, fruit driven wines than wine geeks. At the same time, older people (I have only anecdotal evidence from my own family :-) tend to appreciate more fruity wines, perhaps for that ";required less mental effort";.

• Más leído
  • Más recomendado

- No hay entradas a destacar -

- No hay entradas a destacar -

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar