Bodegas- Sublime and Ridiculous

5 respuestas
    RayQ

Bodegas- Sublime and Ridiculous

As usual this year I visited some bodegas while holidaying in Spain.
    The usual friendly welcome in Mauro and Sastre two of my favourite producers.
    For the first time I visited RODA and PUJANZA where the welcomes could not have been warmer.
    Verema contributor Gonzalo Lainez showed us around RODA and took a lot of time to give us a very thorough understanding of the winery.
    Carlos San Pedro the winemaker at PUJANZA was incredibly generous with his time and was the perfect host (a night on the town with Carlos would be great fun !!!)

But my treatment at ARZUAGA was bizzare. I have been buying wine at this winery for over a decade. I find the crianza quite 'farmyardy' and as a result a little different. Every year I stop off and buy 3 bottles of their wine. This year I decided to trade up and instead of spending 36€ I decided I'd try a crianza/Reserva and Reserva Especial in other words more than double my usual spend.

"Sorry no you can't, a minimum of three bottles of each wine"
    Despite protesting about airline restrictions there was no relenting. They stuck to their guns
    and I walked out empty handed.
    I'm still trying to understand how that made any sense economically or Public Relations wise.
    Wouldn't it be just as easy to put 3 different wines in a box as three of the same ?
    I mean the wines were right there behind the counter !

So they loose a wine-loving customer and I end my vertical of their wines.
    Pretty poor service I think.
    I picked up a business card on my way out it was for the head of "Tourist" relations.
    I'd rather be seen as a wine drinker than a tourist.

jose
    en respuesta a RayQ

Re: Bodegas- Sublime and Ridiculous

Ver mensaje de RayQ

Quite absurd sales policy IMO. The way every customer is treated should be the best. Without paying attention to your 'tourist' or wine drinker behaviour or if you come from UK or from Madrid... Well... they lose another (unhappy) customer.

Regards,

Jose

Olaf
    en respuesta a RayQ

Ver mensaje de RayQ

In two weeks I'm going to Rioja, I'll visit Pujanza... another chance for his wines.

I was once at Arzuaga (not voluntary), I didn't like the way they manage everithing there. It seems the wine is the less important part. It is more like a tourist attraction. Weddings on the barriques hall!

RayQ
    en respuesta a Olaf

Ver mensaje de Olaf

Olaf,
    please say hello to Carlos from me (tell him the Burgundy bottle is on it's way soon !-he will understand)
    He's a lovely guy. I don't think you will like the style- I thought the Pujanza and Norte were great. Less impressed by the Cisma (considering the price)
    He says he aims for a Burgundy style but I think there may be too much oak for you. Still I think you will like the guy and his operation.
    Laguardia is one of the nicest places I have visited in Spain. A great place.

Arzuaga- yes it couldn't be further from what Pujanza is doing. The restaurant/hotel/wedding venue is a long way off there !

Olaf
    en respuesta a RayQ

Ver mensaje de RayQ

Back from Rioja. And I've to admit I really ejoyed the visit to Pujanza and even more... the wines. We tried Norte 99, 01, 02 and 04 and I saw how well these wines can age. We drank also a 'basic' Pujanza from 2001 and it was drinking really well now.

• Más leído
  • Más recomendado

- No hay entradas a destacar -

- No hay entradas a destacar -

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar