Subjectivity, Aesthetics, and the Evaluation of Wine

15 respuestas
    Yvonne_Arci
    en respuesta a jose

Re: And what happens with the reliability of the winewaiter in restaurants?

Ver mensaje de jose

Hi Jose and Paco,

it is the first time i noticed that verema as well exist in english. Great idea!
    You are discussing about the reliability of the wine critics.
    What do you think about the reliability of the winewaiters.
    At least in the restaurants they recommend you wines for dinner, but what do you think is the basis on which the wine waiter judges which wine would be the best for you, your food and your budget? Maybe the last offer he bought? The wine he needs to move? Or the one he thinks which is the best fitting in with your expextations?

Sometimes I left restaurants with the impresion of the last posibilities.

Regards,
    Yvonne

jose
    en respuesta a Yvonne_Arci

But it also happens....

Ver mensaje de Yvonne_Arci

When the waiters gently 'suggests' some dishes. You can rely on the waiter... or think about he want to server you that yoghourt out-of-date ;)))))))))
    Nonetheless at this point and if you're an informed user maybe you've enough tools to believe in the waiter. But you can't use these tools with wine-critics 'cos they use to taste wines you can't reach as far as they're not shipped in the market or just because you can't pay them as an everyday wine and taste it.

Cheers,

Jose

MaJesus
    en respuesta a Paco Higón

Re: Subjectivity, Aesthetics, and the Evaluation of Wine

Ver mensaje de Paco Higón

... My (belated) opinion: I prefer obvious subjective opinions, and then I calibrate. Of course this strategy means I have to calibrate her/his taste against my own taste, but then I know what they mean. When critics try to be "objective" I just get a bunch of more or less standard description that only reveals a little bit of what I expect from a wine critic, and, unless it comes with some quantification (points) I would not know whether it was a pleasant experience or not to drink it ... definitely, for me, openly subjective opinions.

MaJesus

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar