June & July / 2007 wines...

6 respuestas
    jose

June & July / 2007 wines...

Ver mensaje de jose

Hi all,
    a bit late for june wines I know, but here’s the ’monthly’ report...

- Viña Tondonia Reserva Blanco 1987. DOC Rioja. (13.4 EUR)
    Some years ago I drove my car in a sunny morning to the winery. Some minutes before closing I was coming back home with some bottles in
    my car.
    Soft golden, with a far touch of honey, peach and overall dry orange peeling. Great acidity. Looong. Great 20 years for this wine!
    It’s been really nice paired with roasted tiny lamb topped with crunchy fetta and tapenade. Very good QPR.

- Fino La Janda. Bodegas de Alvaro Domecq. DO Jerez y Manzanilla-Sanlucar de Barrameda (about 4 EUR) L6124
    Intense nuts smell. Nevertheless quite soft in mouth. Hours after even the smell is so soft and the next day it’s almost disappeared. Disappointing.

- Gran Feudo Rosado 2006. Bodega Julián Chivite. DO Navarra. (less than 4 EUR)
    Every vintage is a best value. This vintage is a good quaff as usual. Nevertheless I think it’s less vivid than preceding vintages. Flabby and soft. It’s not so bad, but nothing to look for on the shelves. So-so QPR for less than 4 EUR.

- Muga Rosado 2006. Bodegas Muga. DOC Rioja (3.99 EUR)
    Deuce. The first time I drank this wine was a sort of disappointment. This bottle makes me wonder whether I was wrong with this wine. This time I’ve enjoyed the wine. Good balance between fruit and acidity. I didn’t realize the alcohol ’til I read the label. Something that doesn’t happen to me usually is to finish the bottle during a meal, but this has happened this time. I think it’s the best score any wine can have!
    IMHO it’s a wine to be paired with food. This light food for spring & summer. It’s been nicely paired with some crostinis (pisto, blue cheese with sautée apple, tomato and serrano ham, Manchego cheese...)
    Good QPR for about 4 EUR. I’ll try to drink more bottles of this wine, from this vintage and next vintages, in order to know if *this* is how this wine tastes or unfortunately like my first bottle.

- Pierre Frick Gewurztraminer 2004. Cuvée Précieuse. AOC Alsace (11.5 EUR)
    Fourth day roses, litchees, ginger a hint of bitternes and more sweetness than I use to enjoy. In fact I’ve drank it as dessert wine, but my first intention was to pair it with a Tandoori chicken (very
    disappointing pairing by the way).
    When I began to drink wine some years ago I used to drink some wines made with this grape. I’ve to admit that this is the best gewurztraminer I’ve ever drank, that’s why I’m beginning to think that as my taste has evolved gewurztraminer is not my cup of tea. Anyway I think it’s a good QPR.

- Marqués de Cáceres. Rosado 2006. Unión Viti-Vinícola S.A. DOC Rioja. (4.8 EUR)
    It’s a wine so usual that I never found a reason to drink it. Correct, soft, forgettable (in this order). Well paired with easy food. Right QPR for less than 5 EUR.

- Enate Rosado Cabernet Sauvignon 2006. Viñedos y Crianzas del Alto Aragón. DO Somontano (6.56 EUR)
    Fantastic. Nicely balanced between fruit and acidity, a slight spicy touch. Body and structure. I think it could be greatly paired with a meat paella. Nice QPR for not much of 6 EUR and a half.

- Cillar de Silos. Rosado 2006. Bodega Cillar de Silos. DO Ribera del Duero (4.6 EUR)
    Vivid rosé hue. Smell of red fruit and water melon skin. Nice acidity touch with a savory finish. Nice rosé with good QPR for about 4.6 EUR.

- Protos Verdejo 2006. Bodegas Protos. DO Rueda (5.2 EUR)
    So pale is my first thought as I see it in my stem. A big wave of anis seed and fennel bulb. It’s just this in the beginning, nonetheless at next day these smells join to grass and a hint of nice citric acidity. Also in mouth we find these notes and evolution. I think it’s a nice verdejo once it’s enough breathing. Nicely paired with a quiche lorraine. Good QPR for about 5.2 EUR

- Fino Tio Pepe. Gonzalez Byass. DO Jerez-Sherry-Xeres (5.5 EUR)
    Sister bottle of my preceding TN (see april<

MaJesus
    en respuesta a jose

Re: June & July / 2007 wines...

Ver mensaje de jose

Thanks Jose ... I’m taking good note of some of them that are new to me, like the Muga and Cillar de Silos Rosados and the Protos Verdejo ... alas, they will have to wait till next year ;)) ... I see that this month has been good for you :-D

Cheers,

Majesus

MaJesus
    en respuesta a jose

Re: Glad to know that these monthly reports...

Ver mensaje de jose

I’ll check for it around here, but we (Durham, North Carolina) are not as well provided as the big cities. In any case, I am having fun exploring whites from France, Italy and New Zealand. They have many at very good prices (some of them are not super good, but many are very satisfactory); I am not being so successful with German (nor Australian) Rieslings: most of the ones they sell here are too sweet for my taste, even if they say ";trocken"; (I guess it is the USA taste, since I got lots of dry ones in Germany). The Alsace Riesling are good, but too expensive. Another thing that I am exploring are non expensive sparkling wines ... and here I am being less successful in general, although I got some decent moscato and some very pleasant cremant; the USA Gruet (from New Mexico, go wonder!) is quite nice for the price ($12 = 9.5 euros) ... but I also got some very disappointing ones. The nice cavas do not make it here. I also got a horrid Syrah from Australia ... and I indulged myself (and my two friends) for a celebration with a superb Dofi 2004 which I bought at $54 (= 43 euros). It was wonderful, even in summer (but here the AC are SOOOOO exagerated that inside the houses is actually winter!)

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar