Anima Negra 1999: The Evolution of Callet?

8 respuestas
    WaltZalenski

Anima Negra 1999: The Evolution of Callet?

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

Because the subject arose recently, I opened a bottle of 1999 Anima Negra this weekend and was shocked at how peculiar the was at this phase of its life. I’ve enjoyed this wine several times since its release, but it has been some time since I opened a bottle. On the first day, the wine was extremely oaky and tannic. Day two revealed much more fruit but still too much oak and tannin. My impressions were that this wine has a chance at developing into something very interesting, but it will require more time. Perhaps the evolution of the Callet varietal is such that it is reasonably accessible early and then goes into a period of austerity, hopefully to develop into something more complex. Certainly the structure is there. Let’s hope for the best.

Has anyone had any old Callet or do you have any better information about its evolution?

Paco Higón
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

Re: Anima Negra 1999: The Evolution of Callet?

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

I have tried several AN, this vintage was the first based only in local varieties (90% callet, 5% manto negro, 5% fogoneu) so the experience is still quite short…. Recently I tried a 01 and my impressions are quite similar to yours… the wine is alive but will improve with some more time in bottle…

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a Paco Higón

Ver mensaje de Paco Higón

These wines can be very impressive early on - certainly that was my impression of the 2001 you mentioned and of every vintage of the special cuvee that I have tried. Again, let’s hope that this middle period of austerity isn’t the end of the story.

WaltZalenski

Yest, I agree that the quality of the tannins are a good sign. The sharp oak profile may suggest problems, but I will remain hopeful and patient.

I was bothered by the oak profile of the 2003 AN (which is not available here in the US). The oak seemed green. No?

RayQ

The Evolution of Callet?...AN 2001

Well tried this the other night and wasn’t too impressed.
    The colour was blood red with orange tint.
    On the nose it was quite Rhoneish- some meaty notes though without any vibrant fruit. On the palate it seemed tired but acidic (tart?) at the same time. There was not much evolution on the second night.
    Not sure whether this is in a dumb phase or declining to be honest.

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar