BERYNA - 2004 v. 2003

9 respuestas
    WaltZalenski

BERYNA - 2004 v. 2003

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

I just received a case of 2004 Beryna and immediately opened a bottle along with one of my remaining bottles of the 2003. It seems that the value this wine offers has made it among the most frequent discussion topics on the Verema.com. (At the bodega price of 5.09 €, it is a complete mystery to me why everyone in Spain is not renting a truck and driving to Alicante.) In comparing the two vintages glass by glass, my overall impression certainly is that they are very similar wines. The color is nearly identical, with the 2003 having a slightly lighter rim. A difference in the oak is detectable. I believe that the 2003 has some combination of French, American and Russian oak, creating a complex spicy oak profile whereas it appears that the 2004 relies on French oak alone and the wood profile is less articulated. The reported coupage for the 2004 is 60% Monastrell, and 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, Tempranillo, Syrah, Merlot and tempranillo. More specific information was available for non-Monestrell components of the 2003: 15% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Syrah, 5% Merlot and 5% Tempranillo. I don’t sense a materially different balance in the 2004 - perhaps more Tempranillo and Cabernet. The 2004 is a less boisterous wine than 2003 and, even though slightly more concentrated, is somewhat more focused and harmonious. The 2004 also has more earthy and animal notes and, not surprisingly, has tannins that at the moment are more pronounced, but also finer and sweeter, than the 2003.

MaJesus
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

Re: BERYNA - 2004 v. 2003

Interesting comparison Walt ... where do you get your Berynas over there? ... I’m going to spend a sabbatical year (alas, not in Washington, but in Durham, NC) and this is more serious than my usual 2-3 months stay when I just get the wines I can get (although this is also very fun)

Majesus

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a MaJesus

Ver mensaje de MaJesus

When does your stay in NC begin?

Beryna is not very difficult for me to find. The best prices generally are about $13, but can be as high as about $19. I get mine at Wide World of Wine in Washington DC, a very respected wine store that is now making a name for itself in connection with Spanish wine too.

I have no idea about the quality of stores in the Raleigh-Durham area but, except in the summer, it should be easy to get wine shipped to you. Certainly you should not pass an entire year without good Spanish wine.

MaJesus
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

In September 10 (when the kick-off workshop begins) ... and being there for a whole year, I think that this time you won’t scape seing me in person sometime :-D (plus, I’ve never been to the ";Taberna del Alabardero";, nor have you been to Durham :). Thanks for the info, a store to explore! I take note.

Cheers,

Susie

ps.- Last year I bought the Beryna in Zacchy’s through a friend (it was for a Spanish tasting) and it costed about $15, but I do not remember if I included there the delivery expenses ... I am glad that USA has now softened their wine ";export"; policy from state to state: I still remember when I used to visit Pittsburgh and friends taking advantage of bussiness trips to Washington to ";import"; into Pennylvania tons of wines (Pennsylvania used to have an unreal wine policy!! :-/ )

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar