The invasion of white oaked wines...

10 respuestas
    Paco Higón

The invasion of white oaked wines...

Ver mensaje de Paco Higón

I’ve posted this thread in the Spanish side but I’d like to know your opinion.

It’s funny, everywhere and with almost every grape variety somebody tries to give a touché of oak to his/her white wines.... and this doesn’t necessarily implies an improvement in the wine...or at least this is what I think. How do you prefer white wines????

Cheers!

suiko
    en respuesta a Paco Higón

Re: The invasion of white oaked wines...

Without, in general, tho there are exceptions (ie Burgundy, Burgundy, and maybe Burgundy...)

But usually the mention of oak on the label of a white wine will have a negative effect on my intention to buy the wine.

Midi
    en respuesta a suiko

Ver mensaje de suiko

I don’t mind it in most Burgundies, though I have come across a growing number of whites from there that are using more oak than I think is acceptable. I don’t mind it in Chateau Montelena’s whites out of Calistoga, CA.as their’s is so Burgundian in style.
    I hate it when Savignon Blancs are oaked, so many people now try to turn SB into Chardonnay.
    Too much oak in White Wines is one of my pet peeves...I wish I had more time to rant.

rayol

I go both ways on this one.
    A crisp fruity white is lovely with some seafood on a warm summers day but
    a lightly oaked chardonnay slips down very well also particularly with the weather we get here. ;-(

WaltZalenski

Depends.

Given the idea for the wine, the oak treatment of Torres ";Milmanda"; makes sense to me. At the other extreme, the new attempts at oak for Verdejo, seems completely wrong-headed. Not only does oak strike me as a clashing flavor profile for this grape variety, but the variety’s susceptibility to oxidation during vinification should rule out barrel fermentation or aging.

• Más leído
  • Más recomendado

- No hay entradas a destacar -

- No hay entradas a destacar -

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar