TN: 1990 Mouton Rothschild, football and friendship

1 respuesta
    N_Neocleous

TN: 1990 Mouton Rothschild, football and friendship

Ver mensaje de N_Neocleous

On Sunday 4 July 2004, Greece beat Portugal 1:0 in the Euro 2004 Football Championship. The final was held in Lisbon, and I just happened to be in Oporto watching the game on a huge screen in the main square. OK, so what has this got to do with 1990 Mouton? It’s very simple. I had a side bet with my good friend Charles Morgan as to the winner of the game. The bet was that the loser would take the winner out to a lavish lunch somewhere in the City of London.

Well, I had been looking forward to this lunch for several weeks and Charles chose the venue. One Lombard Street is a fine cuisine and brightly styled restaurant comprising a brassiere and a restaurant. We were dining in the restaurant and it was truly a lovely lunch. Charles chose the wine for this happy occasion and I was impressed at his choice. He did mention that it was on special offer, but still it was most generous of him. What are good friends for!

1990 Chateau Mouton Rothschild (Pauillac, Bordeaux, France)

Charles inspected the bottle showing the Francis Bacon painting on the label. Decanted about 15 minutes before I first tasted it. Dark strawberry red with a very faint pink rim. An unmistakeable pencil box and hint of sous bois aromas, with sweet fruit and a dash of bell pepper. Initially, a slightly sweet entry onto the palate of refined and well balanced red fruit with cleansing acidity in the background. The length was long and satisfying. After about 30 minutes, the tannins began to emerge slowly and by the end of the meal they are noticeable but fine and elegant. A classy wine that is not a blockbuster but undoubtedly provided us both with pleasure. A lovely luncheon claret and it paired beautifully with the rib of Angus beef cooked medium rare. 92/100.

• Más leído
  • Más recomendado

- No hay entradas a destacar -

- No hay entradas a destacar -

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar