Where Spanish wine might go (Jancis)

13 respuestas
    Juan Such

Where Spanish wine might go (Jancis)

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

The following article was written for the newspaper published at Alimentaria, the food and wine fair held in Barcelona last March where Jancis Robinson was invited to give a talk at the wine forum. Her vision about Spanish wine can generate some debate here:

Where Spanish wine might go

";Spanish wine is at a fascinating point in its evolution. The world no longer wants the bulk wines that sustained the export market for so many years - the sort of wine shipped to Britain in bulk, for example, to be sold as sticky yellow ’Spanish Sauternes’, the first wine I can remember. This is probably a good thing, although it means that the total volume of wine exported from Spain has been declining inexorably - though it was given a fillip last year by vast amounts of Spanish bulk wine and grape concentrate imported mysteriously, by the French.

Meanwhile, the quality of Spanish wine and the average value of a litre of it has been climbing steadily, as doubtless anyone living in Spain has noticed. This has coincided with a dramatic upgrade in status and image for wine as a subject in Spain. Wine connoisseurship has become a perfectly respectable leisure pursuit for middle class Spaniards rather than a thoroughly agricultural, peasant activity. It was not always like this.

But then Spanish wine itself has changed enormously. I can remember when Torres Viña Sol and Marqués de Cáceres Blanco were regarded as things as strange and as futuristic as a journey to the moon. Fresh, unoxidised, fruity white wine! Not a trace of brown in the colour, nor a trace of oxidation on the nose or palate.

Nowadays we expect all white and rosado wines to be as fresh and technically perfect as this, just as we expect most red wines to be fruity and clean-smelling. Fruit has started to replace oak as the dominant flavour of Spanish wine, thank goodness.

But perhaps the single most exciting aspect of the Spanish wine scene is the unpredictability of it. It was not so long ago that all good quality Spanish red came from Rioja. Then Ribera del Duero exploded and sprouted dozens of new bodegas so that many of the most admired Spanish reds came from this high, wide valley east of Valladolid.

Today, seriously ambitious, well-qualified, well-travelled winemakers are practising their craft in the most unlikely corners of Spain. In the last few months I have tasted wines that are top quality on any international basis from Ampurdán, Bierzo, Mallorca, Manchuela, Valdeorras...and so it goes on. As the co-author of the most recent, fifth, edition of the classic of wine geography, The World Atlas of Wine, I have come to dread the constant evolution of the Spanish wine map - so different from the neat, ordered appellations of France, and even more anarchic and unexpected than the wine map of Italy.

Nor is there any sign that we have reached the end of Spain’s
    journey to become a modern wine superpower. There is no shortage of still-uncharted territory for the vine. Spain has a greater area of vineyard than any other country in the world but is still in the process of exploring the vine’s reaction to every single corner of the country.

(continues in another post)

Juan Such
    en respuesta a Juan Such

Re: Where Spanish wine might go (second part)

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

(Cont.)

";Along with geographical exploration has come ampelographical exploration. Spain’s rich heritage of grape varieties is currently being re-evaluated. One of many results is the rediscovery of some indigenous grape varieties which had previously been ignored. Callet and Garro are obvious examples, but I have also enjoyed Marmajuelo from the Canary Islands, Pareleta from Somontano, Mencía from Bierzo, Prieto Picudo from León and many more. I cannot express too
    forcefully my hope that Spain will retain its local specialities and not allow too great an invasion of international vine varieties such as Chardonnay (for which so much of Spain is too hot anyway), Merlot and Cabernet.

It is interesting to compare foreigners’ reactions to Spanish grape varieties with their local reputations. The most obvious example of wide divergence is Monastrell which for years was rather scorned for its overblown reds of the Levante. But this is the same grape variety as Mourvèdre which in the south of France, and particularly in Bandol, enjoys a certain (slightly exaggerated in my view) cachet. The variety is responsible for one of the most expensive Châteauneuf-du-Papes, Hommage à Jacques Perrin from Château de Beaucastel, and has been elevated to almost cult status in California and then Australia, particularly when blended with Garnacha/Grenache and Syrah/Shiraz.

This has been followed in Spain by certain foreign importers having special blends of Monastrell with other varieties, Merlot in particular, made in Spain expressly for export at a time when Monastrell was still not enjoying a particularly high reputation at home.

Then we come on to Garnacha. Again, it has been my impression that Spanish winemakers are not desperately enthusiastic about this vine variety, seeing it as essentially rather rustic and many rungs down the ladder of status than, say, the aristocratic Tempranillo. Yet, like Monastrell, it enjoys a much higher reputation outside Spain and I firmly believe that, in the right vineyards, Garnacha is an under-used resource in Spain.

It is impossible to give a comprehensive overview in such a short article but no wine-loving outsider can leave the topic of Spain without mentioning sherry, and the inexplicable way in which the rest of the world completely ignores this unique and now keenly priced drink. What is the solution? I have noticed that over the years questions along the lines of ";How would you revive the market for sherry?"; pop up with almost predictable frequency in the exams run by Britain’s flourishing wine education bodies. I’m sure that behind the scenes there are desperate importers seeking inspiration.

I have heard all sorts of suggestions advanced: that sherry should be vintage dated to inject some interest in, and press coverage of, new releases each year; that it should be sold exclusively in half-bottles; that it should be promoted more actively with specific foods.

Now that more and more table wines are being made to sell at the same strength as sherry, I certainly don’t see its potency as a major problem. In fact I offer my very own advertising slogan: ";Fino - the refreshing 15 per center";.

But what I would do is force those in charge of the major sherry companies to live for at least a year a long, long way from the cosy confines of Jerez and right in the middle of one of their most important markets. There they should absorb the habits, mores and preferences of their potential customers and work out how to turn them all on to this magical drink.";

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a Juan Such

Re: Where Spanish wine might go (second part)

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

Juan,
    These comments seem to me to be generally uncontroversial. I think I agree with most everything she says, and I was not surprised by her observations or opinions.

With respect to one small point, I simply don’t know if Jancis’s view of the reputation of certain varietals in Spain is accurate. I would have assumed that the success of Priorat would prevent people in Spain from considering garnacha to be a vastly inferior grape.

Was there anything in this text that you considered to be controversial?

jose
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

Generally I agree with Jancis...

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

I really love the way she writes about wine.
    I do agree (in the main words) with her opion but I would remark one of the last paragraphs...

";But what I would do is force those in charge of the major sherry companies to live for at least a year a long, long way from the cosy confines of Jerez and right in the middle of one of their most important markets. There they should absorb the habits, mores and preferences of their potential customers and work out how to turn them all on to this magical drink.";

I think that she’s right and maybe the people who is in charge of the wineries should have to open their minds, lookin’ out and not just inside the doors of the estates. I like the wines from Sherry-Xeres-Jerez but, maybe (and only maybe) for a foreigner drinker/wine-geek are a sort of acquired taste.
    I think that all these wonderful wines have a very strong personality/tipicity that worth to be kept and not to be changed on the preferences of the customer... I don`t know, but IMHO it´s far more important to educate the customers palate than changin’ this kind of wines...

Regards,

Jose

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a jose

Sherry

Ver mensaje de jose

As she said, the under-appreciation of sherry seems like a perpetual problem.

Oddly enough, I just returned from dinner at a very expensive seafood restaurant. The two colleagues with whom I was dining were not drinking wine, so I was left to choose between several uninspiring white wines by the glass. After the meal we were presented with a desert menu, with deserts on one side of the list and after-dinner drinks (port, etc.) on the other side. I was excited to see 6 sherries listed, but then noticed that 3 of the 6 were finos. Of course the finos are not on the regular wine list and are not offered before or with the meal.

jose

Well... I think that I should say that at least...

They’ve got some sherries in the list... but the saddest thing is that neither in Spain is common to have these wines. Sometimes you can have some PX in the dessert wines list and sometimes you can (even!) find some fino/manzanilla/sherry just as wine for glass... :(((

Regards,

Jose

Iñaki Blasco

Fino with deserts?

At least this is only amazing...
    Wich desert fits with Fino?
    Fino or Manzanilla looks great with ";tapas";, some starters, even could be a regular wine (I think it’s a perfect fit with ’chinese’ cooking), but with deserts?

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a jose

Re: Well... I think that I should say that at least...

Ver mensaje de jose

";...but the saddest thing is that neither in Spain is common to have these wines";

But Jose, isn’t it true that virtuall ALL all bars in Spain offer fino and manzanilla? I presume you are talking about restaurants only. In the US, you have a small chance of finding some sherry (but almost never fino/manzanilla) at restaurants and almost no chance of finding sherry at a bar.

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar