Sideways

12 respuestas
    suzanne

Sideways

Ver mensaje de suzanne

Just curious. The movie Sideways is all about Pinot and Syrah. Yet, the region in question would also (maybe more so) be all about Chardonnay, not to mention Zin. And yet Chardonnay and Zin didn’t even rate a mention in the movie. Wonder why. Could it be a conscious marketing thing to get people thinking ";Pinot and Syrah"; when they think about California wine country

Daniel P.Whitaker
    en respuesta a suzanne

The ABC movement

Ver mensaje de suzanne

A few years ago there was a reaction against the status quo. The ABC (All But Chardonnay) movement has rather hostile in rejecting chardonnays from California, even within California. I would not be surprised to know this ABC thing is still around.

As for zinfandel, well, maybe the gringos (i.e. ";American";... I’m American, from Mexico, but I am not gringo) are just tired of waiting for a cult wine which says zinfandel ";super ranch, fabulous single vineyard"; in the label. You can bet they WILL get (create?) a 500 dollar cult wine from syrah and / or syrah shortly. And all that, from 6 year-old vines, in a soil nobody (not even WS) knew about, owned by a former real state broker from SF, and blended by a cult winemaker (a lady, of course! otherwise the winery might get sued for discrimination!)

DPW

twitter.com/daniel_pw
    Al buen amigo, dale tu pan y dale tu vino

Daniel P.Whitaker
    en respuesta a suiko

Not all that shines is gold

Ver mensaje de suiko

There are quite a few, in fact many good wineries in the U.S., I would not dismiss their wines. Producers in Washington, NY, and again in Oregon are making excellent wines. The problem is that the hype affects those wines we know: California wines.

I would not hesitate to say than in California there also many excellent wineries and hence a decent number of wines which can hold their own against heavy weights from elsewhere. But then again, is the price tag a good indication of that? Probably not. Do I feel that is NOT a U.S.-specific situation? What about many Burgundian winesy? Are THEIR price tags a good indication of what’s inside? The answer goes without saying.

DPW

twitter.com/daniel_pw
    Al buen amigo, dale tu pan y dale tu vino

suiko
    en respuesta a Daniel P.Whitaker

Re: Not all that shines is gold

Ver mensaje de Daniel P.Whitaker

Leaving apart the political considerations that would not allow me to buy US products:-)

the wines I’ve tried from Caliofornia have had the worst QPR I’ve come across anywhere, Burgundy included. They seem either to be industrial fruit juice or grossly overpriced designer wines lacking in the subtlety one would expect from the price tag.

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a suiko

Ver mensaje de suiko

";Leaving apart the political considerations that would not allow me to buy US products";

So I presume the computer upon which you wrote this message contains no software produced by MircroSoft or Apple?

Regarding US wines in general and California wine in particular: just remember some ill informed people also make equally braod and negative generalizations based on very norrow exposure to Spanish wines.

suiko
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

I do my best. Of course it’s difficult!

I’m sure there is good value Californian wine somewhere. It’s just that it is extremely difficult to find, as anyonme in Europe will tell you.

• Más leído
  • Más recomendado

- No hay entradas a destacar -

- No hay entradas a destacar -

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar