Sherry galore!

11 respuestas
    Gastronauta

Sherry galore!

Ver mensaje de Gastronauta

About a month ago a wild bunch of winefreaks headed for Restaurant De Vinis for an excellent dinner with 22 different sherries. This frankly ambitious initiative was the brainchild of Jesús Barquín, who rarely travels to Madrid for a single tasting. He wooed the President of the C.R.D.O. Jerez-Xérès-Sherry-Manzanilla de Sanlúcar de Barrameda, Jorge Pascual, into this project of his, and the President kindly acceded to attend the dinner, bring the superb wines, lecture and answer questions.
    But there was more: the dinner itself was superb…

As I walked in I was greeted by familiar smiles, a few of them still purple from earlier that afternoon. A bunch of Elmundovino regulars were there too, including Víctor and Luis. The wines were being chilled, but a perfectly ready bottle of Barbadillo’s Manzanilla Solear was produced and served. Much as I had liked many of the raw reds poured that afternoon, I must say this flowed though my mouth as a liquid blessing. So fresh, so crisp, so balanced it was. What unreal freshness and complexity. Even the pros were impressed, and they solemnly pronounced it one of the best bottles of Solear they’d ever had. This was a 94-96, which is no small feat for a Manzanilla produced in such huge quantities.

After that we sat at the table while the last guests arrived. Domecq’s Fino La Ina was a solid effort but it failed to impress me that night the way it had in late May during Vinoble. The nose was shyish which is not normal in this Fino. Again, one of the most convincing mass-produced finos, which for some reason didn’t excel that Wednesday night. (91)

In comparison, Fino Pavón (from Bodegas Luis Caballero) was at its best, deliciously elegant, very noble if a tad too light for my taste. (90-92)

Then the Manzanillas “en rama” attacked: it was a pity that Pedro Romero’s Manzanilla Aurora en Rama was off. It is decidedly the most incredible Manzanilla you can imagine when it’s singing, but it was not the case. The nose was dull and unremarkable, but this is a risk we were aware of: this is a most fragile product, not commercially available save by direct order to the winery, and it travels rather capriciously. A good bottle, however, reconciles you with the world at large and the human race and many a Martian I know…
    After that, and for a good laugh, we tried an experiment: a fino from California (ever wondered what “Imported Sherry” meant on the shelves in NY wine shops, Gastro? Now you know, and wish you didn’t!). A friend brought a bottle of some Sheffield Very Dry Fino. To begin with, it was sweetish. The nose was dead, and in the palate it had a vague stale echo under the sugar. On a desert island I’d much rather filter my urine through a t-shirt…

Then two different Manzanillas en rama appeared. Against all odds the Spring “saca” (bottling) held its own against the Autumn label (which was by definition more recent); so much so that there was general consensus about its superior quality. None was as good, however, as this Spring saca in Vinoble, where it blew my socks off.

Next came a most original product. A wine expressly bottled for this tasting that corresponded to the raw stuff that (once fortified) goes into the sobretablas that will eventually become Valdespino’s Fino Ynocente. This was intended to offer an idea of the quality of the musts that go into great sherry. Perfectly decent white wine (you see, in Spain common knowledge holds that Palomino is at best a neutral variety that works only for sherry—and even that only after extended biological crianza, so this was served as proof that there is some intrinsic personality when the raw material is of the highest quality. The wine showed high yeast presence, of course, but was as good as your average Rueda, for example).

The following creature stole the show: a “criadera” of that same Fino Ynocente before filtration. 100-pointer for lack of comparable referent. Brutally complex, beautifully balanced. There is no way I could describe i

Gastronauta
    en respuesta a Gastronauta

Re: Sherry galore! (2)

After that, as I was saying, the regular Ynocente—which is far from regular, it’s decidedly among the top 5—performed only convincingly, lacking the character (only it’s not character that distinguishes the unfiltered version, it’s more like SOUL: power, finesse, depth, complexity, balance, everything positive you can imagine but sugar!) of his younger brother.

The third flight included Vinícola Hidalgo’s Manzanilla Pasada Pastrana—a classic and unavoidable referent in this section, which performed only so-so, proving that bottle variation is still a serious factor in this game. It was solvent but nowhere near the best examples I’ve tried.
    Its elder brother, Amontillado Pastrana VOS, was a most pleasant surprise. Bear in mind that so far the price per bottle of the wines commented has ranged from 4 to 15€. This opens the Amontillado section and doesn’t really take you any further. Maybe 20€. This was extremely interesting, with serious, complex nose of aged amontillado, nutty of course but very approachable, with some unexpected body in the mouth. It’s a most convincing bottle in itself (93-94), only it paled in the company of the—now decidedly expensive—Fino Imperial VORS by Paternina (which is a serious contender in Jerez, by the way). Although called Fino by the bodega, this is evidently an amontillado, and one of the very best in absolute terms if you ask me (97). With superb finesse, unreal complexity and never-ending finish, this caused a general silence in the dining room (except of course for the occasional Oooh! and Aaah!). I had tried it in Vinoble but here we had so much more time to appreciate it (and of course here it was the ceiling of the Amontillado bunch)…

The following flight was clearly designed to match the pigeon (tres saignant, puagh!). Domecq’s amontillado Botaina—perhaps the best QPR on the table that night—performed beautifully. It’s the youngest of the three amontillados of the evening, but it has all that you could ask for about 10€. Approachable in the mouth, complex and interesting in the nose, with good balance and length. 93+

The following wine is one I had in my cellar but had not tried. I have opened it since then… Palo Cortado VORS “Antique” from Bodegas Rey Fernando de Castilla is among the finest PCs I’ve tried (95+). Our expert Álvaro Girón compared it to an amontillado in its finesse, and sure he was spot on. Because the category Palo Cortado is the vaguest it offers a wider stylistic range. This was certainly close to an amontillado, the same way Domecq’s Capuchino VORS is solidly in the middle-toward-oloroso.

Game with oloroso? Sure! In fact it seems the safest option day in and day out. The choice here was Domecq’s Rio Viejo, another scandalous QPR. For about 8€ you get a most convincing effort that will inevitably lead you down the path to a point of no return. In my haste to try everything (AND be fair to/enjoy the best samples) I sort of neglected this one, but that’s a classic I can retry as often as I want at home…

Two very original efforts by Sandeman were included here IIRC. Late harvest bottlings from 1995 and 1996 showing significant vintage variation (one mildly sweet, the other openly so) that fall somewhere along the line of the sweet oloroso. More interesting than truly enjoyable, they were offered as proof of constant experimentation with new products in the sherry area. I’d buy the VOS line from Sandeman any day, but these two are hard to pin down…

The final flight with cheeses and dessert was composed of Domecq’s topflight (VORS of course) oloroso (Sibarita) and palo cortado (Capuchino), and then Barbadillo’s PX La Cilla…to close with Domecq’s PX Venerable! That was a most joyous crescendo in which of course the poor La Cilla hardly managed to survive (it’s a pretty solid PX in any other circumstance, but it doesn’t belong in this lineup to be sure). I LOVED the Capuchino to the very last drop, with a most attractive/intriguing nutty nose and the feeling of waki

Gastronauta
    en respuesta a Gastronauta

Re: Sherry galore! (&3)

There is no way even I could close this without thanking Jorge Pascual and Jesús Barquín for the privilege of tasting such an excellent collection of wines, and the management and staff of De Vinis for such topnotch service. The meal was equally excellent and the cost almost negligible bearing in mind that the wines had been offered by the CRDO. The company was as always an extra treat.
    From there to the shower (by 2:00 am) and then to the first morning train (before 7) to join my...er...always ";anxious"; students…
    Isn’t life cool?

JesusBSanz
    en respuesta a Paco Higón

Re: That’s fine!!!

Ver mensaje de Paco Higón

Hey men (both of you), do not forget I am quite a busy guy with family and job duties. Recently, I am spending most of my free time tasting, so I do not have much left to stop and write about it.

BTW, the chronic by Ernesto is absolutely great. Bravo, Gastro!

• Más leído
  • Más recomendado

- No hay entradas a destacar -

- No hay entradas a destacar -

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar