AN/2 from Mallorca: A nice surprise

16 respuestas
    Juan Such

AN/2 from Mallorca: A nice surprise

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

Yesterday’s Peña La Verema blind tasting had a nice surprise for me: I loved AN/2 2001 made by AN Negra Viticultors winery (formerly named “Anima Negra” winery. They had a problem with the commercial brand).

Until now I haven`t been a great fun of their wines (I thought that they had a weird style but bad price-quality ratio too) but yesterday… I found an original wine, balanced, attractive on the nose (nice and exotic red fruits) and very refreshing (nice acidity) and long on the aftertaste. Very enjoyable. I value it 8,5 out of 10 (93 out of 100). I don’t know the exact price. The organizer of the tasting said 9 euros but that was buying the wine at the winery I think.

Have you tried that wine? Any clue about their price in Spanish shops?

Juan Such
    en respuesta a Juan Such

Jancis seems to love AN 2001 too...

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

This is what Jancis Robinson wrote in her website after a big tasting in Madrid last autumm:

";The most impressive wine of a 54-wine line-up of Spain’s best earlier this month was made mainly from a grape I had barely heard of, Callet, a native Mallorcan.

Àn Tinto 2001 is one of those wines that pierce the wine taster’s cranium with a direct and exciting combination of quality and unfamiliarity - similar to that experienced on first tasting, for example, the southern Italian grape Aglianico (now proved, contrary to centuries of supposition, to have no known Greek relatives).

From the tiny 10-year-old Ánima Negra bodega at Felanitx in south-east Mallorca, the thrilling red Àn Tinto 2001 is serious, meaty, but obviously attractive and refreshing. Round but not sweet, it already has enormous allure for such a young wine as well as obvious integrity; this is no carbon copy of a famous international style. There’s a certain dustiness at the end of the tasting experience, but I suppose dust could be said to be a characteristic of this Balearic island."; (http://www.jancisrobinson.com/winenews/2003/jr7106.htm)

She is refering to AN 2001, the big brother, but I think some of the comments could apply to the style of the little one too. Great job from the people at this winery and I think we will join them in the III Verema Encounter at the end of february...

Iñaki Blasco
    en respuesta a Juan Such

I agree Jancis...

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

... but not so much your comments about AN/2 2001.
    Like Jancis I love AN 2001, I tasted it at the cellar last year in Mallorca, and like always with this wine (2000, 1999, 1998) is what Jancis said ";exciting combination of quality and unfamiliarity";, so far from international style...

Really, AN/2 has some of the features of his ";big brother";, is well done, but he didn’t touch my soul last night...

Juan Such
    en respuesta a Iñaki Blasco

Wines from AN

Ver mensaje de Iñaki Blasco

What I loved from this AN/2 was its balance, good acidity and long finish. A fine wine to drink. The few wines I have drunk from AN in the last years have tended to be too potent with some unbalance but undeniable originality and personality.

Perhaps they have been drunk at the wrong time and needing more time in bottle. I remember that the last wine tried from this winery was a bottle of A.N. Vinya Son Negre 1999 drunk last August. Very potent and original but not too be enjoyed with food, specially with the hot temperature of that night. Perhaps now with this cold weather and more time in bottle could be more joyful...

Iñaki Blasco
    en respuesta a Juan Such

Re: Wines from AN

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

That AN Vinyes de Son Negre 1999 tasted with you (and more friends)last August really didn’t enjoy me (this summer was so hot, and the restaurant where we were also was).
    I think AN wines are not too potent, but elegant and balanced (fruit, aromatic herbs, iodic notes) being their features.
    May be we need to share more AN wine’s tastings.

THuRStoN
    en respuesta a Juan Such

Re: Jancis seems to love AN 2001 too...

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

Glad to see that the guys from Ánima Negra will be at the meeting on February! I am curious about their wines (ask Gonzalo :^), let’s see if I manage to taste some of them.
    I also took notice of what Jancis wrote about them, and my curiosity got bigger!!

Look: [warning Spanish thread ahead!]
    https://www.verema.com/comunidad/foro/mensaje.asp?mensaje=50783

It seems AN 2001 has good value and good price, Did it make into USA?
    Cheers to everybody!!
    a.

Juan Such
    en respuesta a THuRStoN

The FT article from Jancis...

Ver mensaje de THuRStoN

... you mention in the Spanish thread is very interesting:
    http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1069493575788&p=1012571727085

I copy three paragraphs that can create some debate here:

";...ambition, money and technology have been flowing (in that order) in to all sorts of Hispanic nooks and crannies so that the Spanish wine map needs to be redrawn almost on a monthly basis. A third is the rapid development of wine as a serious leisure interest for better-heeled Spaniards.";

";...the popularity of Spain’s best wines with the likes of my fellow tasters in Madrid has tended to boost prices at the top end to levels that many non-Spanish wine lovers find unacceptably high.";

";Despite the evident dramatic rise in wine quality in Spain and what one might call the El Bullí gastro-boost, it may be a while before fine Spanish wine is as widely accepted internationally as all those Barolos and Brunellos are thanks to the army of Italian restaurants around the world.";

Do you agree on all these comments?

THuRStoN
    en respuesta a Juan Such

Re: The FT article from Jancis...

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

Well I agree on most on the things she said.

I do believe that when a Spanish wine stands out from the rest, it finally ends meaning sky rocketing prices. Look at what has happened with Lopez Heredia. They had very good value, prices and critiques but suddenly they prices went up up up, that one being just a mere example.
    So I will add that prices of top or more known Spanish wines are unacceptably high for Spaniards too.

I also think wine is becoming serious hobby for too many (snob) people :^), not us sure. Look at Verema’s evolution in the last years, I see it a clear sign.

But it’s sad to read this:

";Despite the evident dramatic rise in wine quality in Spain and what one might call the El Bullí gastro-boost, it may be a while before fine Spanish wine is as widely accepted internationally as all those Barolos and Brunellos are thanks to the army of Italian restaurants around the world.";

Because she’s right, and worst of all I don’t see it changing in the near future. The problem I see is that here in Spain we don’t have access to a big range of wines from other countries at a competitive price (10 to 20€ range) whereas in other countries do have. That’s where our wines are missing the point.

What’s your opinion on this?

a.

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar