The Wine Advocate on Spanish Wine

11 respuestas
    WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a rayol

Re: Price drop...

Ver mensaje de rayol

Not unreasonable predictions, Ray.

There are certainly segments of the wine consuming public that are ";point chasers."; But what percentage of ";point chasers"; distinguish between WA points bestowed by Parker and WA points bestowed by Rovani? And is that percentage enough to move markets? I would like to doubt it, but two major retailers I’ve talked to, one on the East Coast and one on the West, answer this question with an emphatic ";yes.";

It may be that Rovani will score Spanish wine about the same as Parker has, in which case we will only be dealing with the difference in market influence between these two critics. Of course it may also be the case that there Rovani will score Spanish wines materially differently, which could shake things up much more.

rayol
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

Exactly Walt

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

I think the power of a WA92 is not as strong as PARKER92 ! on a shelf ticket.
    Also we may see the influence of a different palate which is no bad thing. I DO NOT want to get into a pro/anti Parker thing (I think he has had a good influence overall) but the day will come when he leaves the tasting room, perhaps this will give us a sign of things to come.I have no doubt many wines are made to suit his preferred style. I look forward to an era when no single critic wields such influence in any wine growing region.

J-Lo
    en respuesta a rayol

Re: Exactly Walt

Ver mensaje de rayol

Hi,

The trouble is that when R. Parker or Rovani will leave the tasting rooms, some unknown taster will take their position in the wine industry. I do not think that wine critics are honest, they are aiming for popular style in order to suit every body’s palate - a style that can be describe as ";Obvious";. this way they can achieve a good career, this may sound Dramatic but at least it is my opinion.

What consummers need is someone to ";guide"; them, someone who will accept that some wine-producing tecnics are able to fool him.

As an example, using Cultured yeast(in order to extract viscosity or certain aromas), fermenting wine in new oak (especially malo), or just looking for super ripe grapes are respectable tecnics. But they do not respect the identy of the wine (or the grapes).
    And Wine-critics do no talk about the hidden side of the moon...It is very interesting to note or to taste a wine from a determinate region, but does it taste like a Spanish, french or Australian wines? is it good value or completely over-priced? will it age? is it a good wine to eat with or is it just to impress my friends?

Also, consummers are influenced by Wine-Connoisseurs too easily. If a wine from Bordeaux or Rioja gets 99pts with Paker, Peñin or another - not many of us will feel confortable to criticize his judgement.

In other words, Consummers need guidance and something more than tasting notes and points. I am not anti-Parker or anti-Peñin, we have to respect them for what they achieved, but maybe we should ask for a little more information, more clarity.

• Más leído
  • Más recomendado

- No hay entradas a destacar -

- No hay entradas a destacar -

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar