My July wines.

32 respuestas
    jose

My July wines.

Ver mensaje de jose

Here we go...

- Fino El Maestro Sierra (4.75 EUR) DO Jerez y Manzanilla - Sanlucar de Barrameda
    Usual pale yellow. Smells of nut peelings, green olives, etc. Fresh, sea an really vivid sip. A couple of days after I find more quiet in nose, but bigger in mouth. Anyhow always pungent. Nice wine with nice
    QPR, well paired with a sort of ratatouille with marinated salmon topping.

- Mistela Negra Josefina Piñol 2004 (¿15-18 EUR?) DO Terra Alta
    Nice sweet/dessert wine. Really balanced, wine-grape character. Not a myriad of smells or flavours, but they’re really integrated, dates, mulberries and blackberries jam, but overall I remark the balance and no trace of cloying.

- Charles Hours Cuvée Marie Jurancon Sec 2002 AOC Jurancon (11.95 EUR)
    Golden yellow. Smoke hints, peanuts peeling, mango, grapefruit, bones from boned-fruits. In mouth is this, guided by a nice and remarkable acidity that reminds me, again, grapefruit. Nice night, almost full moon, everything quiet, but who in the hell is playing hip-hop in the stereo soooo loud... two buildings from here!
    Well, let the wine place me out of this annoying sound... It’s a nice wine to be paired with food. Tonight (I had no lunch today, so...) courgette ravioli stuffed with marinated salmon and sea-bass grilled over mustard cream. I find it 2 bucks overpriced; odd to say just for a couple of bucks, but I’d feel more comfortable having this wine in the 10 EUR range than in the 12 EUR one. Anyway, I’ve enjoyed this wine and as soon as I can I’ll have more bottles next to me and in my cup.

- Montesierra Merlot-Cabernet Rosado 2005 DO Somontano (5.4 EUR)
    Strawberries of course, but I’d remark a nice balance between creaminess and acidity. It’s been a surprise to find a rosé with a creamy sip, absolutely attached to the acidity and being a really nice wine. I’ll try to have more bottles of this one.
    It’s been nice with a summer chickpea salda and ’papas arrugas’ (traditional dish from Canary Islands, made with tiny-tiny-tiny potatoes) and a my-way tartara sauce. I say ’my-way’ because this weekend is really hot and don’t really care about following recipes step-by-step. With this temperature even rules get boiled! On the other hand, I think that this wine would be really nice with meaty paellas, due to its weigh in mouth.

- Clos du Tue-Boeuf Rouillon 2003 Thierry Puzelat AOC Cheverny (9.21 EUR)
    Sepia sunset color. A storm has decreased the summer heat and it makes being in the mood to uncork this bottle. Deception is the word. All that I liked it in the bottle drank months ago, aren’t here. Neither leaving it breath for hours, nor days... It smells like camphor and greengage. The sip is a plonk. Everything is out of its place. Fortunately I did enjoy the preceding bottle of this wine so it makes me look at this wine in a different way. Vintage issue or maybe this wine is not made for lasting 3 years? Or maybe it’s just
    a bottle issue. I hope the last one is what had happened to this bottle. Bad bottle. Bad week.

- Baltasar Gracián Rosado. Garnacha. Vendimia Seleccionada 2005 DO Calatayud (4.4 EUR)
    As nice as the preceding bottle. Fruity. fresh, really nice. Even some hints of watermelon doesn’t disturb and I don’t like neither watermelon nor the wines that show this touches. Really nice rosé to drink with snacks and easy dishes these hot summer days. My discovery for this year as rosé-always-on-fridge-just-in-case (any single word to say this? ;)

- Clos du Tue-Boeuf Frileuse 2003 AOC Cheverny (8.74 EUR)
    Dust yellow. Touch of matchstick that disappear fast. Soft honey hints, acidity, apple in the oven... and everything has gone just leaving a touch of white acid fruit. Boringly boring. I don’t know if I can blame the vintage, this bottle or just this wine is as-is and I don’t like it. Month is ending, but if I’ve another deception... I’ll go as a Carthusian monk!

- Agustí Torelló Mata Reserva 2002<

jose
    en respuesta a suiko

Gasp... thanks a lot for the point...

Ver mensaje de suiko

It was due to my job... I work in computer system and in security is usual to use something named as ’Deception Toolkit’ as honeypot for Hackers... so ’deception’ was the first word that came to my mind. Anyway thanks a lot for the correction :))

cheers,

Jose

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a jose

Re: My July wines.

Ver mensaje de jose

Regarding the Agustí Torelló Mata, I just today found and purchased a small amount of 2001 Kripta in a store in New York. Very little cava from Agustí Torelló Mata, my favorite producer, is imported to the US, and what does come here does not seem to be distributed outside the city of New York. Previously I was able to find a case of the 2002 reserva that you just tasted, but this is the first time that I was able ever to purchase Kripta. Plus, compared to prices in Barcelona (about 35 euros), it was a very fair price ($49). A happy day!

jose
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

I don’t have ever tasted Krypta...

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

Anyhow it looks like a really nice price, bearing in mind the price in Spain... On the other hand, I truly hope it worths any cent you’ve paid for it, ’cos I’m thinking in a couple of bottles of yummi champagnes that cost (and worth every single cent) almost the price you’ve paid for this Krypta.

Regards,

Jose

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar