1994 to lay down for 20 years ?

32 respuestas
    WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a rayol

Re: 1994 to lay down for 20 years ?

Ver mensaje de rayol

Ray,

I see Valbuena and Unico have already been mentioned, along with their advantages and disadvantages. Please note, however, that I think this vintage will be great even given the high expectations of Vega Sicilia generally. Plus, the Unico is just being released and you therefore do not have to worry about how storage conditions in the past 10 years may compromise the wine’s longevity.

30-year wines are not so easy to come by. Indeed, if you want proven 30-year performance you may well be limited to high-acid traditional Riojas or Vega Sicilia. MaJesus mentions Bosconia, which certainly in some vintages can easily last 30 years. If your time horizon were set at 20 years from the vintage I think your options would multiply.

The prodigious 1994 Pesquera Janus may fit your criteria, but it may not be much cheaper than VS. The same goes for Artadi Grandes Anadas.

As a much cheaper alternative, you might want to consider the ’94 Jean León Gran Reserva Cabernet, a very tannic, slow-evolving wine that is just starting to be approachable. Torre Muga Reserva Especial from this vintage can also be found with some difficulty and might also work.

Of course, larger format bottles will also last longer.

rayol
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

Thanks Walt,
    lowering the age threshold will be simpler than increasing the cash available...so yes Jean Leon and Muga a sad no to VS (sob...sob..)
    I may however just stick to Port- the old reliable !

MaJesus
    en respuesta a rayol

Ver mensaje de rayol

If you want to do that, you might as well explore the very wonderful PX’s ... but of course the year is NOT guaranteed ;)))

MaJesus

Midi
    en respuesta a rayol

Re: Guggenheim

Ver mensaje de rayol

Yes Majesus, I ate in the gourmet restaurant and had an absolutely wonderful meal. I am unable to find my notes but I will try and eat there everytime I am near Bilbao. The sommelier is young, charming and very knowlegable. He wrote out a list of wines for me to try and buy while I was there and directed me to several wine shops. As a single woman living in Spain for two months last summer and often eating by myself it was one of my two favorite meals.

As to my Spanish dictionary, I do speak some Spanish so it is not as difficult as you might think. I do have to pick and choose what I read on the Spanish forum side due to time restrictions as looking up unknown words can be excrutiatingly painful.

Álvaro Girón
    en respuesta a MaJesus

Ver mensaje de MaJesus

Though it is unclear that dry sherry improves in bottle (I’m talking of amontillado and dry oloroso styles), Julian Jeffs claims that PX and sweetish olorosos age gracefully, becoming less sweet with time (perhaps two much time, I’m afraid)

Iñaki Blasco
    en respuesta a rayol

But...

Ver mensaje de rayol

904 or Ygay are also on the ";oxidised"; side...

Recently I’ve tasted Roda I 1994 and Contino Reserva 1994, and I think
    both can afford 10-15 years more. ¿20 years? May be, may be...

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar