What’s going on with Australian wine???

7 respuestas
    Paco Higón

What’s going on with Australian wine???

Ver mensaje de Paco Higón

I’ve just read a worrying piece of information in Decanter:

Australia faces grape glut
    http://www.decanter.com/news/63334.html

and the situation looks very bad in major wine areas including the Barossa Valley, Hunter Valley and Riverland.

What do you know about the situation in South Africa and the Hispano-America? Are Chile and Argentina, for instance, in front of something similar?

suiko
    en respuesta a Paco Higón

Re: What’s going on with Australian wine???

This doesn’t surprise me at all. Naturally the good stuff sells easily, but under €15 or so, it is just soooo obvious that Aussie wines are in general not competitive in terms of quality with Chilean or Argentinian, for example.

For example, nothing from Oz can remotely compete with Concha y Toro’s Winemaker’s Lot or Marqués de Casa Concha series, or Zuccardi’s Q Tempranillo (come to think of it, no Spanish Tempranillos on the UK market can either!) And even with the huge Aussie marketing budget, people realise eventually:-)

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a Paco Higón

Re: What’s going on with Australian wine???

Given all our new pledges about civil remarks here, I’m biting my tongue. I’m not a fan of Australian wine generally and I am typically dismissive of much of this juice.

I ahvee been told that the price of grapes in parts of Spain are also lower than they have been in recent years. (We are talking here, of course, the fruit available from growers who are not producers.) I think the ability to buy good quality grapes cheaply has prompted some Spanish producers to make new and low-priced ";second wines.";

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a MCamblor

Re: Ah, people finally figured it out...

Ver mensaje de MCamblor

Unfortunately I suspect this may be more a funtion of overproduction even in the face of increasing demand. The growth in demand for OZ wine has been enviable, to say the least.

Manuel, I left the obvious strait line in the Decanter article for you, but as you neglected it, I will take it. The article begins: ";Grapes in Australia are being left to rot on vines....";

In Australia, I should think that is the time they declare the harvest!

MCamblor
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

Thank You, Walt...

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

It was an ";after you, no, after you, no after YOU..."; situation with that bit about the grapes rotting on the vines.

I’ve forgotten what the last even remotely potable ";wine"; from Australia that I had was. If anything, the Australian record for inflincting manipulated purple or white crap upon my snesitive palate is worse than the latter-day-Argentinian one. Which is sayin a lot. So maybe a bit of a reality break in Oz ain’t a bad thing...

M.

• Más leído
  • Más recomendado

- No hay entradas a destacar -

- No hay entradas a destacar -

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar