Predictions

22 respuestas
    WaltZalenski

Predictions

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

As Juan brought to our attention (below) Parker recently said that: ";By 2015, those areas that have traditionally produced Spain’s finest wines (Ribera del Duero and Rioja) will have assumed second place behind such up-and-coming regions as Toro, Jumilla and Priorat.";

Forgetting Parker’s unnecessary reference to surpassing Rioja or Ribera del Duero, it is true that recent history has shown that every 5 years or so there is another DO that emerges from obscurity to international fame. Most recently, one can name Priorat, then Toro, and now Bierzo. What is your prediction for the currently obscure DO that next will receive international attention?

My prediction: Valdeorras

JoanF
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

Re: Predictions

Ha, ha,.. difficult (I’d rather buy lottery instead of wining this predictions :^D).

But... Rioja may come back to their senses and.... let’s take a look on Penedès... and Terra Alta... things are moving in Catalunya...

Also, Alicante looks attractive after Mendoza’s Shiraz...

Salut!

Joan

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a suiko

Ver mensaje de suiko

Again, I’m not sure that Montsant is so obscure now. It seems the stategy of the DO is to associate itself with Priorat as much as possible.

As was the case with Toro and Bierzo, there likely will be early signals about the next big DO -- namely the superstar winemakers buying vineyards.

suiko
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

But there is a limit to the number of areas that can make high quality wine. Montsnat certainly doesn’t seem to be associating itself with Priorat here at least - the market they’re interested in, at least for now, is a much lower price bracket, possibly largely people who haven’t even heard of Priorat.

Another possibility would be some high altitude vineyards in Andalucía, maybe in Granada province?

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a suiko

Ver mensaje de suiko

Yes Montsant is cheaper than Priorat. It seems to me to be marketing itself as Priorat’s affordable alternative. But I think one only has to look at a map to see that this new DO, created in November of 2001, wants to be closely related to Priorat. Geographically, Montsant has almost completely surrounded Priorat. Since the shape of the DO reflects no logical historical or political bounderies, it appears that the primary goal in its formation was the inclusion of as much land that is contiguous with Priorat as was physically possible. I know that Christopher Cannan who, with René Barbier, co-owns Montsant’s Laurona, has said that he doesn’t think there should be a strong differentiation between Montsant and Priorat.

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar