Does anyone know the St. Laurent grape?

7 respuestas
    WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a suiko

Re: Does anyone know the St. Laurent grape?

Ver mensaje de suiko

A red grape variety that grows only is Austria, I believe. I’ve had it from only one producer -- weak watery examples. Reputedly, however, this can produce good merlot-like wine.

rayol
    en respuesta a suiko

Ver mensaje de suiko

Funny thing,
    I had this for the first time last night.
    Well, actually it was in a blend.
    Blaufrankisch, Zweigelt and St Laurent. As Walt says an Austrian grape.
    The wine in question Gerhard Pittnauer Pannobile Rotweincuvee (Gols/Burgenland) was really very good. A full bodied smokey red with just a hint of sweet fruit. A variety we may see more of. I wonder if along with Gruner Veltliner it might not be another Austrian contribution to the world of wine.

At the same German/Austrian tasting I had an AMAZING sweet wine from Feiler Artinger Ruster Ausbruch Pinot cuvee 1998. A really superb sweet wine where the acidity was in perfect balance. Yum !

Ray

suiko
    en respuesta a rayol

Ver mensaje de rayol

Thanks! I had a varietal St Laurent, medium-bodied and rather Pinotish in charcter (they apparenmtly have some blood relation.) The most notable thing about it was a particularly smooth, soft texture. Nice wine, tho possibly not very competitive at the UK price of £10.

Belgik
    en respuesta a suiko

Ver mensaje de suiko

Greetings, This is my first intervention on the English-language segment of this great website, in fact, I haven’t been on the Spanish department in months (I am ...inconsistent), and luck has it I just read about the St.Laurent grape for the very first time ... today.
    The ";Grand-Duchy of Luxemburg 5th of May 2004 Statute on Grape Varieties"; allows for (a list of grape varieties, including.. St. Laurent";, for which however the proportion (in any given wine) may not exceed 10%.
    The grape appears, indeed, to be somewhat related to Pinot Noir, and is said to produce good color (which is, otherwise, not a usual PN characteristic). And, yes, this grape appears to originate in Austria.
    Luxemburg produces only about 5% red wine (mostly Pinot Noir), but in most cases the qualification ";red"; is somewhat an overstatement. In spite of that, all Luxemburg red wine is being grabbed locally before being bottled, it’s a hype, as the wine is, usually, undistinguished. The wish to improve the color of their rare red wines seems to be at the origin of the recent Ducal statute allowing the Dakapo ";teinturier"; grape and the St. Laurent.

I wish to add that Luxembourg does however produce very good dry (and some superb Riesling ";vendange tardive"; and ";eiswein";) white wines (mostly but not exclusively from the Riesling grape).
    Regards,
    Paul

• Más leído
  • Más recomendado

- No hay entradas a destacar -

- No hay entradas a destacar -

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar