A sort of a poll: Do we cook for the wine or do we drink for..

8 respuestas
    jose

A sort of a poll: Do we cook for the wine or do we drink for..

Ver mensaje de jose

The food?
    I explain myself. For me the name of the game is food&wine. I can taste a wine, but I don’t like wines that have been created as a shot for the senses and cannot be paired with any food... It´s simple, I don’t believe in this concept.
    So my question is. Are you focused just in wine and always look for the food which pairs better with them? Or do you think about what food do you wanna cook and at last (but not the least - as use to say Paco ;) the wine which goes better with that kind of food?

My bid is so easy. As I said before I think in food&wine as a whole, so sometimes I think that I’m in the mood for some kind of wine and then I think what dish I wanna cook; and sometimes I’m in the mood for a kind of dish and lastly I think about the wine...

What do you do?

Cheers,

Jose

JoanF
    en respuesta a jose

Re: A sort of a poll: Do we cook for the wine or do we drink for

Ver mensaje de jose

Hi Jose,

I totally do the same as you. For me, as for you, the wine & food is a whole that cannot be divided in a meal. Sometimes I could find a very great wine that cannot match well with food, and this lesses its ’greatness’...

By the way, I tried a variation of the mango ravioli recipe you gave and some time asked about in the forum. Instead of iced-apple I did it with a sort of salad... very good dish indeed. I matched it with a Gramona Sauvignon Blanc 2003 (as my wife requested), the matching was very good because this wine is really great and matches almost with everything... If you take the mango ravioli with the iced-apple I do think now you may take a wine a litle bit sweeter (the Late Harvest, from Concha y Toro would be good).

OK. That’s it.

Regaaaaaaaaaards!

Joan

jose
    en respuesta a JoanF

Thanks for the info abot mango ravioli recipe...

Ver mensaje de JoanF

In the last few days the mango has a good QPR in market, but due to the icy temperatures we had the last 2 weeks I’ve decided to wait ’til have a warmer temperature :))) Maybe I’ll try with the salad...

Thanks and regards,

Jose

Juan Such
    en respuesta a jose

Wine with food

Ver mensaje de jose

I think everybody is going to agree on this issue. One thing is to taste or to drink a wine without any food. In this case the wine is valued in itself, as an isolated thing.

Another very different thing is to drink that wine with food. I usually think in the wine to choose from my cellar based on the food I am going to eat. The reason is easy: I can choose from a much wider range of wine than from food at home :-)

Juan Such
    en respuesta a jose

Chave is very clear on this issue

Ver mensaje de jose

K. Lynch quote Gerard Chave in his book ";Adventures on the wine route";:

";For me, once a wine is in bottle, I have another conception of its quality which is not at all of wine as wine alone. (...) You must be knowledgable about cuisine in order to recommend a wine (...) Serve the same wine with two different dishes and you will have two different opinions of it.";

Gonzalo_Lainez
    en respuesta a jose

What I usually do

Ver mensaje de jose

Nuria and I usually have a dinner only for ourselves on Saturday night. We always think of a wine we want to taste and then we carry on thinking about its pairing.

I think this is not the right way to understand a dinner but we can’t help it.

Cheers

Gonzalo Lainez (Peña Bilbao)

Gonzalo Lainez (Bodegas Roda)

THuRStoN
    en respuesta a Gonzalo_Lainez

I try to do the same.

Ver mensaje de Gonzalo_Lainez

Either I buy one wine or pick one from my mini-cellar, and then try to think of a dish that matches the wine.
    For example, last Saturday I paired a Champagne (see TN: https://www.verema.com/comunidad/vinoscatados/vino.asp?vino=5962 ) with a fairly basic rice dish. It was a Murcian rice variety (IIRC, it was call Bomba), and a few prawns (ok, I added and some onion and garlic too ). And you know what it was delicious and I ain’t a good cook at all!!! Even my girlfriend told me so!!!
    I think I am getting more interested in cooking :^).

Cheers,
    CheZ THuRSty^Peña Bilbao

• Más leído
  • Más recomendado

- No hay entradas a destacar -

- No hay entradas a destacar -

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar