What do we look for in a 2nd wine?

11 respuestas
    JoanF
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

Re: What do we look for in a 2nd wine?

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

Hello Walt,

This is a very difficult question to answer.

About this I have to say that I basically don’t count on second wines as a way to find the ’same’ as in the ’premium’ wine.

Somehow I try de second wines as ’test’ for the great ones from the same producer.

Let’s say... I finally tried the very expensive ’Grans Muralles’ from Torres (it was around 60€) because my experience in the ’lesser’ wines was quite pleasant. ’Sangre de Toro’ is certainly not a great wine, but I never find it bad at all (considering the very low price, around 3.5€). ’Gran Sangre de Toro’ is sometimes very good, the ’Fransola’ has been always in my scope, and one of my favourite whites... so after all I decided to go ’Grans Muralles’.

In other ways, if ’Martinet Bru’ is a very good wine... what can I expect with ’Clos Martinet’? certainly I would reach the heaven... (Despite I didn’t like the Bru 2001 -perhaps the bottle-, I do think Bru 2000 was a really a great wine itself and the Clos 2000 really from heaven) (That’s why I replied to you in this post).

On the other hand the ’Solanes’ was not very good recently, so Cims de Porrera didn’t look very attractive to me... same for the ’Les Terrasses’ (anyway L’Ermita is far beyond my possibilities).

The ’Embruix 2000’ was really a great wine, so, somehow, I considered the ’Vall Llach’, but still very expensive.

I know the second wines don’t come from the same estate, don’t follow the same philosophy as the ’premium’, but I do think it is a very good way to ’taste’ the producer, and its way of working and to look after the customer.

Woooo.... thanks for your patience.

By the way I tried a really good sweet wine from Chile ’Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc 2000’ from Concha y Toro, really good, and very good QPR.

Salut!

Joan

WaltZalenski
    en respuesta a JoanF

Ver mensaje de JoanF

Joan,
    Quite often I like a winemaker’s first wine but not the second. If I adopted your approach alone, I might never try the first. But I certainly agree with you to some extent. When Torres released Grans Muralles I assumed it was going to be good because Torres does a good job at every price level. (And I do like Grans Muralles a lot!)

I would try Martinet Bru 2001 again. It has nice blackberry and blueberry flavors and a body with a lot of class.

Walt

JoanF
    en respuesta a WaltZalenski

Ver mensaje de WaltZalenski

Walt,
    I know that can be true, but if they can not do a ’good enough’ secon wine, perhaps it is better not do it... The same applies for the first one, in the times of bad harvest it would be better not to make a first wine. The last case does not happen in Spain (I’m talking of expensive first wines).

About the Martinet Bru 2001 I discovered some very unpleasant raw meat flavours that bothered me after all (despite my positive feeling with Martinet Bru in general) https://www.verema.com/en/tastingnotes/wine.asp?wine=3649 .

On the other hand I just tried an outstanding Señorio de Lazan from Somontano, with a gorgeous QPR... https://www.verema.com/en/tastingnotes/wine.asp?wine=6199 I do recommend it if you can find it.

Salut!

Joan

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar