Spanish wine has lost buzz in English speaking forums?

27 respuestas
    Juan Such

Spanish wine has lost buzz in English speaking forums?

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

I have read a very interesting thread on the Wine Therapy forum about Spanish wines:
    http://enemyvessel.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2896&FORUM_ID=4&CAT_ID=1&Topic_Title=TN%3A+Woe+is+the+%2795+Finca+Villacreces+and+a+lament%2E&Forum_Title=We+all+have+issues

I quote some of the more interesting comments on that thread. I think they may open a very interesting discussion here about the evolution and external image of Spanish wine industry.

B. Kane: ";It seems like yesterday that the interent wine community, as well as the wine community as a whole, was all abuzz about Spanish wines. There were a string of much heralded vintages, ’94, ’95, ’96 along with a burst of new wineries that garnered much page space in virtually all of the wine press. (…) Where did that all go?

Here it is, 2004, and I find that despite my best intentions, I really don’t have much of an idea anymore of what’s going on in Spain. The Spanish wine scene has virtually dried up in terms of coverage in the press and wine bulletin boards, El Mundo excepted, though I still can’t read the Spanish ads in the subways.
    (…)

Over the past few years I’ve watched with dismay as both the ’94 and ’96 quickly went downhill much sooner than just about everyone that was posting about them on release, expected. Well, tonight, the ’95, too, has joined the ’94 and ’96 in purgatory.";

R. Callahan (Admin): ";Sometimes good (Spanish) wines were permanently unbalanced. Quite often, poor-quality wood permanently ruined potentially outstanding wines. More often, overwooding merely removed a potentially happy youth and left the wines to face adulthood with a structural scar that fades but never, ever disappears. It’s a sad fallacy to believe time heals flaws in wooding any more than it heals other misjudgments in the cellar. Tannins polymerize, and that ameliorates the problem. But it does not correct it.

C. Coad: ";in our little insular NY world there was a lot of buzz about five years back about the exciting stuff that was coming out of mostly unfamiliar regions (unfamiliar to me, anyway). That buzz has faded to almost nothing now; the Spanish wines that crop up around here all seem to be big, woody indistinguishable boutique reds or cheap ";fruity"; quaffers like Castaño’s line, very little of what I would classify as quality stuff at reasonable prices. (Or Tondonia, which has me hypmo-tized as well, but that’s an argument for another day.)

It’s hard to explore the wines of a region if the wines you keep coming across all seem to be cut from similar cloth, not to mention putting a California-sized dent in the wallet. One of the reasons it’s easy to find chenin to swoon over is that you can find dozens to sample in the $10-20 range, even in these weak-dollar days, so experimenting won’t put you in the poorhouse.";

Many interesting comments, isn’t it?

What it’s clear is that most of these guys don’t know Verema.com…

THuRStoN
    en respuesta a Juan Such

Re: Spanish wine has lost buzz in English speaking forums?

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

Well I agree with you, this is a quite interesting topic, which give us an idea about how foreign people see Spanish wine. I couldn’t agree more with them on the wood subject, but I don’t like the attitude they have towards “our” wines, especially Robert’s (admin) one.

Another amazing thing, or at least it seems so to me, is that posts about Spanish wines done by Victor de la Serna and Manuel go unanswered, I don’t know too much about that forum but I’m sure that wouldn’t happen here.

a.

Iñaki Blasco
    en respuesta a Juan Such

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

This is a round trip for me.
    Was the 94-96 spanish wine on the top of the wine press space and not now? Where did we go?
    I don’t know, but the ";overwooding"; and the ";overpriced"; wines they are talking about deserves some kind of thinking in Spain. But, may be, they need knowing so many things of spanish wines they ignore... Only may be.

MCamblor
    en respuesta a Iñaki Blasco

Ver mensaje de Iñaki Blasco

I believe, living over here but partaking of this forum (and of so much Spanish wine) that what’s happening is not really a matter of ignorance-because-folks-are-unwilling-to learn. Rather, many people who drink wine on a daily basis don’t want to spend the small fortunes being asked for a lot of these new Spanish wines, especially if what they deliver does not necessarily meet the huge expectations created by both press and price.

It’s fine and dandy to try ";new and exciting"; wines from unknown regions when they cost $10, or even $20. But at $35 to $100 a pop, the story changes. I know few real wine lovers who pour those big-ticket items each and every day of the year.

I do believe that Callahan’s comments in Wine Therapy, though rather harsh, are right at their core. An excess of ambition on the part of producers, importers, distributors, etc., and a failure of many (too many) wines to actually deliver on a vague initial promise, have caused this lamentable loss of interest.

One can only ignore reality for so long. Sooner or later, it comes up and bites one in the ass.

Oh, and regarding Thurston’s comment about why certain threads by VS or myself don’t get many replies: Well, it seems to have a lot to do with the polarized positions we’ve both acquired in the web communities we inhabit and the highly regrettable number of (even more regrettable) silly spats we have when defending those positions. Perhaps people have gotten bored and fresh authoritative voices are necessary.

M.

Juan Such
    en respuesta a MCamblor

"Unpolarize" your life :-)

Ver mensaje de MCamblor

Manuel you say: ";Well, it seems to have a lot to do with the polarized positions we’ve both acquired in the web communities we inhabit and the highly regrettable number of (even more regrettable) silly spats we have when defending those positions. Perhaps people have gotten bored and fresh authoritative voices are necessary.";

Or, perhaps, you need to unpolarize your views, Manuel :-)

For instance, have you discovered nice modern-style wines in your last trip to Barcelona? I think I have read you in the Therapy forum something about that you enjoyed a Clos Mogador 2000...

Also, you share with me a Roda II 1999 at Gaig restaurant and you weren’t looking very dissapointed by the wine, don’t you?

MCamblor
    en respuesta a Juan Such

Polarities...

Ver mensaje de Juan Such

The comment about ";polar positions"; is with regard to the seemingly endless conflict of opinion between myself and certain friends. It seems that we argue from fixed and unovable points, however different our reality may be from those points.

Those who know me, know that I’m quite open to the new and will give almost anything a chance. So it has been with many of Spain’s fashionable ";New >Wave"; wines. There can be no denying that I have found pleasure in some of them. But also, there should be an allowance for my displeasure at many of them.

Yes, I enjoyed that Clos Mogador at Cata 1:81. And yes, I found no real fault with the ’99 Roda II we had at Gaig. Alas, if I think of the laceratingly woody, unbalanced monsters Roda had to make before they came to their current production model, I feel a little sore.

Remember that you’re talking to the same guy who ";introduced"; Verema to Bosconia and, only a few weeks later, himself proposed a virtual tasting of Embruix and Les Terrasses... And actually enjoyed the Embruix enough to buy half a case! I may not be the best observer of all this, but hey, does that sound like a biased, polar mind?

M.

Juan Such
    en respuesta a MCamblor

Re: Polarities...

Ver mensaje de MCamblor

Yes, in these ’virtual’ conflicts of opinion it seems to be a common tendency to make a straw man from the ";adversary"; simplyfing his positions. Sad.

I think your points of view in Verema have been very refreshing and I thank you for discovering that wonderful Bosconias so unknown here in Spain.

If the Clos Mogador you were referring was that bottle we drunk at Cata 1:81 restaurant then was the 1998 vintage, my dear friend. I found it a little too rustic but authentic.

Have you tried recently one of this Embruix bottles you bought? It could be interesting to see its evolution in bottle.

• Más leído
  • Más recomendado

- No hay entradas a destacar -

- No hay entradas a destacar -

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar