Spanish wine has lost buzz in English speaking forums?

27 respuestas
    MCamblor
    en respuesta a MCamblor

Re: My 2 cents

Ver mensaje de MCamblor

Great selections, Rogelio... The Muscadets of L’Ecu are lovely and very detailed (and one thing most merchants and/or critics won’t tell you: they age incredibly well in the cellar). I’m a little upset because over here all you can find of late is the ";Expression du Granit,"; the others not arriving at all.

Can you find any of Marc Olivier’s Muscadets in Spain? His are, by far and away, the best values from Muscadet that I know of, year in and year out. The Domaine de la Pepière, Clos des Briords and his new red ";Cuvée Granit"; (a light, very pure and superexpressive little lovely from Gamay, Cabernet Franc and Merlot planted in Muscadet) all retail for well under US$10 in NYC.

M.

MCamblor
    en respuesta a MCamblor

Re: Muscadets from Guy Bossard

Ver mensaje de MCamblor

Definitely, you must add to those ten (and if you can’t find them, simply DEMAND that your importers bring them in because no one should live without them) the wines of Jean-Paul Brun. His ";Terres Dorées"; Chardonnay and ";L’Ancien"; Beaujolais are perennial value favorites with me. Complex, graceful, expressive and they do very well in the cellar.

In terms of great values, the list is very hard to compile when you’re talking about France. For example, there are quite a few fantastic Jurançon Sec producers. And just talking about the Loire things get complicated. Clos Roche Blanche is perhaps the top contender, with their Sauvignon, their Cabernet, their Pineau d’Aunis and their extraordinary Gamay.

In the South there’s the master, André Iché, whose ";Hérétiques"; and Château d’Oupia bottlings are delicious and no more than US$8.

In Alsace things get a little difficult. Trimbach’s basic range comes to mind as a consistent provider of good QPR, with the Riesling being nowhere near a Fred or a Hune, but nevertheless, quite enjoyable and all of $12 (here’s a good model of a house for you: The Clos Saint-Hune, being the top wine, retails for about $100, the Fred is $30 and the ";basic"; Riesling is $12; this covers every range and the quality is maintained throughout... Would that only some Spanish producers could get smart and follow that...).

There’s an ocean of excellent Côtes du Rhôone for $15 or under. Think of Voge, or as Rogelio mentions, Texier...

And just so I’m not condemned as a hopeless Francophile, I intend to come up with great cheap wines from Italy, Portugal, Germany, Austria, Greece and--why not?--even Spain. But that will take me some time. I still have some writing to do for the other side of Verema...

M.

• Más leído
  • Más recomendado

- No hay entradas a destacar -

- No hay entradas a destacar -

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar