New world wines vs. European wines

4 respuestas
    Gonzalo_Lainez

New world wines vs. European wines

Ver mensaje de Gonzalo_Lainez

Hi forum!!!

You all know in wine making world there’;re two ways of acting: The new world way and the European one.

European wine rules say: “;Practices which are not clearly allowed are forbidden”;
    New World says: “; Practices which are not forbidden and do not damage consumer’;s health are allowed”;

¿What does it mean?

1 – Has Innovation in Europe a big load to wear due to restricted laws?
    2 – Are European wines supposed to express better terroir, grape characteristics …?

I think innovation is good only if it allows you make better wines (I mean wines which express terroir, wines whose tecnology helps you for a “;natural”; winemaking). There’;s a big problem with European rules: In a wine store you compete against new world wines which do not suffer those restrictions, so that they can take advantage.

¿What do you think about?

Gonzalo Lainez (Bodegas Roda)

MaJesus
    en respuesta a Gonzalo_Lainez

Re: New world wines vs. European wines

Ver mensaje de Gonzalo_Lainez

Here is MHO: I like (in principle) the underneath new world’s philosophy that anything that maximizes pleasure is optimal. Our role as consumer is not to defend tipicity, old wines, traditional grapes, etc., but just to enjoy the wine; so it seems as if anything that produces good wines is good... and I say it seems, because this theory has a drawback (at least): it sort of assumes that you are going to drink wine just once, or that your overall pleasure is maximized by drinking the same (assumed optimal and perfect) wine again and again and again and nothing else. I think that this is incompatible with human nature, so the overall, life pleasure gets maximized by drinking many different wines, and here the terroir, tipicity, region-specific grapes, etc., have an important role to play ... In any case, our only worry seems to be to enjoy life: this is niiiiccceeee :-))

On the other hand ... regulations ... hmmmm ... I usually am against regulations: the less the better, but I sometimes have mix feelings in this issue since ’easy’ wines (and TV programs, and ... ) produce much more inmediate and larger rewards, and can produce so much junk!! ... I would love to see the junk TV programms banned, and I am doubtful about allowing absolutly everything in wine-making (adding tartaric, oak chips, etc.)

Gonzalo, you did not tell us what you think :-))

MaJesus

THuRStoN
    en respuesta a MaJesus

Ver mensaje de MaJesus

I’ve got mixed views on this Old World/New World ";confrontation";. The New World’s philosophy: ";anything that maximizes pleasure is optimal"; sounds perfect to me, but I think Anything it’s a dangerous word here :-).
    Let’s see, I like new world’s originality and their ability to try new things but I just don’t buy the idea that getting rid of old world’s opressive rules will lead eventually to better wines. On the other hand it’s true that the old world isn’t perfect.

I agree with you on regulations, generally I hate them :-), but in the wine world regulations seems perfect to me. Look at 1855 bordeaux classification, strict and with well defined quality levels, if we look at the resulting wines we can hardly say regulations are bad at all.

my 0.02 euro cents :^),

a.

Gonzalo_Lainez
    en respuesta a MaJesus

Ver mensaje de MaJesus

Mª Jesus

I didn’t tell you my opinion just because I don’t have any strong opinion about this issue. Sometimes I think new world philosophy is perfect and sometimes not.

Cheers

Gonzalo Lainez (Bodegas Roda)

• Más leído
  • Más recomendado

- No hay entradas a destacar -

- No hay entradas a destacar -

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar