Excess of alcohol. ¿Wrong viticulture?

4 respuestas
    Gonzalo_Lainez

Excess of alcohol. ¿Wrong viticulture?

Ver mensaje de Gonzalo_Lainez

Hi forum!!!

Nowadays we can notice the percentage of alcohol in wines is growing up dangerously. Wines now are calid, alcoholic and seem to follow a Porto style. What amazes me is the fact that producers look like proud of getting those amounts of alcohol for their wines.

What do you think about this issue? I’m, sure the increase of alcohol is a fail in viticulture. I don’t mean that a calid mediterranean 14% wine is a problemn but i’m worried because in Rioja we used to drink wines containing 12.5% and now is 13.5 up to 14.5. My point of view is today we need longer periods of grape maturity to get an important polifenolic quantity due to bad viticulture only interested in rising yields.

Cheers

Gonzalo Lainez (Bodegas Roda)

JoanF
    en respuesta a Gonzalo_Lainez

Re: Excess of alcohol. ¿Wrong viticulture?

Ver mensaje de Gonzalo_Lainez

We sometimes ask ourselves this question. And sometimes I am not so happy to see 14.5% in a wines belonging to areas which that was not common (i.e. Rioja), otherwise in areas like Priorat 14.5% is very common and they have to take care not to go to 16-17% (so I believe), which can be done easily under the gorgeous sun shining there.

After all, I don’t know about this matters in detail, thus I hope somebody more experienced can give some light about this question.

Regards.

Joan

Gonzalo_Lainez
    en respuesta a Iñaki Blasco

Re: Excess of alcohol. ¿Wrong viticulture?

Ver mensaje de Iñaki Blasco

My friend.

That’;s exactly what I mean. Priorato or Jumilla habe been always alcoholic wines regions, nothing to complain about because this is one of their features. However, Rioja or Bourdeaux are increasing the alcoholic strenght of their wines because nowadays they are not able to obtain enough tannins and color without more alcohol.

This is a viticultural issue (potasium, high yield …)

Cheers

Gonzalo Lainez (Bodegas Roda)

Cookies en verema.com

Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros con finalidades analíticas y para mostrarte publicidad relacionada con tus preferencias a partir de tus hábitos de navegación y tu perfil. Puedes configurar o rechazar las cookies haciendo click en “Configuración de cookies”. También puedes aceptar todas las cookies pulsando el botón “Aceptar”. Para más información puedes visitar nuestra Ver política de cookies.

Aceptar